Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

eCommerce in 2013

• # July 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I’d love to hear what your platform of choice would be when building an online store in 2013.

The store will be selling physical and digital items and needs a relatively simple backend. Personally, I’m pretty familiar with WordPress (WooCommerce, Jigoshop and Cart66), Magento and Shopify. Is there anything new out there that’s worth trying? It’s also worth noting that I’ll need something that’s easy to scale when the time comes.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

# July 17, 2013 at 3:21 pm

There’s plenty of info on that already. Just search FORUMS.

# July 17, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Right tool for the right job. Recently I’ve used Woocommerce, Opencart and Magento. I’m in the middle of searching for something simple to integrate with Kirby CMS for really simple online stores.

So if you’re looking for a specific recommendation you need to provide more details on your store, number of items, target audience, product data …etc.

(though I can say without hesitation, don’t go near Joomla/Virtuemart, it’s a truly horrendous platform, I’m having to go through the pains of porting a client’s site from Joomla to Opencart at the moment, and the way Virtuemart manages certain product data is unbelievably bad…)

mjf
    # July 17, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I’m trying out Spree which is an open source rails app…unfortunately don’t know too much about it but seems to be a big community behind it so far.

# July 17, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at between 10-30 items to get going.

@deeve007 Thanks for the heads up, I’ll steer clear of Joomla and Virtuemart. I’ve been meaning to get familiar with Kirby, I’ll have to give it a try. do let me know if you find something suitable for Kirby.

@mjf Never heard of Spree, so I’ll look into that. Thanks!

# July 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm

A small number of items most dedicated ecommerce CMSs might be overkill, so Woocommerce would be a good option.

With regards to Kirby, I was considering integrating this with it: http://simplecartjs.org

Just need the time and/or suitable client to do so.

# July 17, 2013 at 7:57 pm

I agree with @deeve007 on woocommerce for a smaller number of items (sub 200). WordPress is easy to use and woocommerce just integrates so well into the backend and w/e front end theme you decide to use.

My biggest complaints about most ecommerce as CMS solutions are their lack of modulation and horrible file structures if you ever wanted to customize anything (remember zencart, I still have nightmares).

# July 18, 2013 at 8:17 am

@will_wallace85 Haha, yeah I’ve heard many horror stories of Zen Cart. WooCommerce seems pretty easy to integrate.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".