Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Easy best way to develope WP site before launch?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LinCSS25
    Participant

I am getting ready to design and do some major tweaking to a WordPress theme for my portfolio site. As far as I know you cant see or have the WordPress site function without it being launched and hooked up with its database you create etc right? Well I dont want ot do that on my main domain. Is the only way to see it and work on it online is to have another domain that you work on it on THEN migrate it to your final domain when ready to launch? that is what I did the 1st time around but I cant help but wonder if there is an easier way that I am missing. I always have issues migrating and it freaks me out.

Thanks!

I do all my WordPress development locally using MAMP. You can also use XAMPP if you aren’t on OS X.

kgscott284
    Participant

I use XAMPP myself sometimes I use an under construction plugin that displays a coming soon page but will allow me to view and make changes when logged in as admin if i feel like putting it up online first instead (typically when there is no existing site on the root of the server)

kgscott284
    Participant

Yes, you can define a custom page as you see fit…

and XAMPP(windows) or MAMP(mac) is simply a local server that allows to work, well, locally :)

The plugin I use is called “Under Construction”…By I think Jeremy Massel (or something like that)

kgscott284
    Participant

I actually just used my ftp and modified the default page to suit my needs…if you use absolute paths (via your theme folder etc…) you shouldn’t have to use inline styles…just reference them as you would normally.

Senff
    Participant

On Windows, I use WAMP myself. Not sure if it’s better, or worse, than XAMPP (since I never used that one).

kgscott284
    Participant

I actually use WAMP as well, XAMPP above was a typo…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.