Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Easy best way to develope WP site before launch?

• # October 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I am getting ready to design and do some major tweaking to a WordPress theme for my portfolio site. As far as I know you cant see or have the WordPress site function without it being launched and hooked up with its database you create etc right? Well I dont want ot do that on my main domain. Is the only way to see it and work on it online is to have another domain that you work on it on THEN migrate it to your final domain when ready to launch? that is what I did the 1st time around but I cant help but wonder if there is an easier way that I am missing. I always have issues migrating and it freaks me out.

Thanks!

# October 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I do all my WordPress development locally using MAMP. You can also use XAMPP if you aren’t on OS X.

# October 29, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I use XAMPP myself sometimes I use an under construction plugin that displays a coming soon page but will allow me to view and make changes when logged in as admin if i feel like putting it up online first instead (typically when there is no existing site on the root of the server)

# October 29, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Thanks I will check out both.. on the under construction plugin you mention.. are you able to use your own under construction page? I already have a splash page up I custom made..that is what I would want to use.. not some ugly default thing.

# October 29, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Oh and with XAMPP.. does that just let me work on it locally then?

# October 29, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Yes, you can define a custom page as you see fit…

and XAMPP(windows) or MAMP(mac) is simply a local server that allows to work, well, locally :)

The plugin I use is called “Under Construction”…By I think Jeremy Massel (or something like that)

# October 29, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Oh geez he even put local in his 1st post.. Ugh sorry! Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Ill see which works best for me. :)

# October 29, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I found that pluggin. it is by Jeremy Messel.. quick question.. If it has some CSS and a few images.. where do I put those? I was just looking at the setting page screen shot of it and all I see is a big text field to put in my HTML.. I could do.. like embedded CSS but I still need to put the images somewhere? did you encounter this or use the pluggin’s default page?

# October 30, 2012 at 12:27 am

Just put the folder in your plugins folder, then activate and go to settings.
    You could use the ‘ Display the default under construction page , but use custom text’ and then you can enter some text.

# October 30, 2012 at 1:21 am

I actually just used my ftp and modified the default page to suit my needs…if you use absolute paths (via your theme folder etc…) you shouldn’t have to use inline styles…just reference them as you would normally.

# October 30, 2012 at 6:59 am

On Windows, I use WAMP myself. Not sure if it’s better, or worse, than XAMPP (since I never used that one).

# October 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

I actually use WAMP as well, XAMPP above was a typo…

# October 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

with XAMPP ect. someone on another forum mentioned the need for major computing power…. I have a 5 year old mac book pro.. is that good enough? ive updated the OS to snow leapard but never upgraded the RAM processor or memory. Is it really that intense?

# October 30, 2012 at 11:11 am

I still think Ill be going the plugin route if I can. both methods sound interesting.. Fragga and kgscott, it seems your both saying the same thing.. correct me if Im wrong. So I can use their default “under construction page” modify the HTML, and put my css and image folders in the plugin folder.. OR kgscott your saying it really doesnt matter?

Thanks guys.

# November 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

It’s definitely powerful enough to handle a local environment. It runs in the background, so depending on what you run on it you might want to get more RAM but it’s not going to hurt anything by installing/running and then checking to see.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".