Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Dos and Don’ts of Design

• mcd
    # May 9, 2008 at 3:45 pm

I am a self-taught designer looking for a few tips on what to do or not to do when it comes to different types of design.

My major question is about frames. I know they aren’t the best option, but I have a site that I am working on right now that seems like there is no other option. I need the sidebar to be fixed and the content to scroll. Can this be done in CSS, or am I stuck with frames? And are frames as bad as they used to be?

# May 12, 2008 at 7:51 am

You could use a position: fixed; on the sidebar that’ll follow when you scroll. Alot of people tend to instantly dislike a website if it uses frameset, even though it’s totally valid. But then again position: fixed; won’t work for users on IE5.5/win (haha).

Check out these pages for some mental digestion:

# May 12, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Frames are bad, because Search engine robots can’t read the pages properly. If you aren’t bothered about the site being found on search sites, use frames.

if you do want it to be searchable, use poistion: fixed, but this doesn’t work in IE 6, but there are hacks if you need it to work with ie 6. the links above are good ones to look at for this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".