Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Does IE9 support color:transparent and li:nth-child(1)?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric

does IE9 support color:transparent and li:nth-child(1)? That’s font color transparent.

I’m doing something ie8 pukes on but I can live with it if ie9 picks it up. Thanks

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

**IE9 does support :nth-child() pseudo-selectors.**

However I’m facing some difficulties finding a source regarding the transparent keyword. I know it was first introduced in CSS1 as a valid value for the background-color property.

Then, CSS2 allowed border-color to have transparent as a valid value. Now, as far as CSS3 is concerned, transparent has become a valid value for anything accepting a color value.

But, I don’t know where IE9 stands on the topic. I’d say it supports it on both border-color and background-color, for sure. But I don’t know it’s okay for the color property.

Anyone wanna spread some knowledge here?

**EDIT**: I just tested it, **it does support transparent as a value for the color property**. You’re free to go.

Paulie_D

IE9 supports rgba & hsla (AFAIK) so it should be fine although you may have to use 0 opacity rather than ‘transparent’.

IE9 also supports nth-child (again AFAIK): http://caniuse.com/#search=nth-child

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

@Eric: I edited my first post to answer your question.

@Paulie_D
    : not sure opacity as a better browser support than transparent. Depends on what he’s planning to do with it.

Paulie_D

>>@Paulie_D: not sure opacity as a better browser support than transparent. Depends on what he’s planning to do with it.

I’m referencing ‘opacity’ as the 0 in RGBA and alpha in HSLA not as a CSS property.

Logically, if RGBA and HSLA are supported then transparent color is an option as

color : rgba (0,0,0,0) /* transparent text */

As you have found the KEYWORD is also supported which, I suppose was his question but it’s just shorthand for the other ways of doing it.

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

@Paulie_D: oh okay, my bad then. I thought you were talking about the opacity property.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.