Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Does a Webdesigner needs a Mac?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    DavidLambauer
    Participant

I just googled the question above but didnt find an answer i am happy with. So may u can tell me why so many Webdesigner uses a MAC instead of a PC?
    Is it just because a Mac looks better or what? Are there some clear reasons for? And when there are reasons for, what MAC would u prefer for a webdesigner?

i hope u can help me.

Thanks for it..

David

As someone who has used a PC their entire life, but been using a Mac for the past year, I can say with some confidence that they are better in almost every way for design. What specific questions do you have? I’ll try to answer them for you.

DavidLambauer
    Participant

I want to buy a new pc and i am web designing for a couple of months. I learn very well, and i can make some money with my web designs. I know the techniques and just need to farm some skill. Due to my new passion, i want to have the best equipment i can get. I read many articles about this topic but i just want to know why so many Webdesigner, Graphic People and Web Developer are using a Mac? Is it just passion or what? I cant understand that there are no concrete reasons for? xD
    Excuse my english, it`s terrible, but i dont want to type everything into google translator :p

lucas572

I’ve had my mac for about 2 years now and I don’t think I’ll be buying a Windows machine in the future (unless something crazy happens…). You have to weigh up your options.

One thing to think about is: Almost every designer has a mac, if you go to meet with a client and pull out a Windows machine they might not think you’re all that serious about your work! They might also think you don’t value your work enough to buy something as expensive as a Mac. There is a certain image you give to clients when you have a high end computer, it shows you’re serious and want the best tools to do your job, no matter the cost :)

Other benefits are that Mac’s actually work, all the time. I’ve never had an issue in almost 2 years. They look amazeballs, they’re fast, long battery life (if you’re after a laptop) don’t need to worry too much about viruses, if you do have an issue, you can speak to a ‘genius’ whenever you want.

The only real downside is the cost (to me anyway). But for me, I don’t mind saving up and spending big on something that’s going to outlast the equivalent laptop (by this I mean not get crazily slow after a year and need replacing…)

Hope this helps!

lucas572

Also, there are a lot of great web developer software that are only available for Mac. That’s a big thing to remember too!

Paulie_D

The only overriding reason I can see (as a PC user) is that there is some design/development software (CodeKit for example) that isn’t available for non-Mac users.

Where there is software available on both platforms then there is no effective difference (at least as far as I can tell). Does it LOOK better on a retina mac…sure, but then everything does. :)

As to the question do you NEED a Mac….then the answer is NO.

Do you want a Mac (and getting to relearn how things are just slightly different from the PC worls)…that’s up to you.

chrisburton
    Participant

I second that disagreement. But also know that colors don’t render the same on a PC compared to a retina display.

ivovargas
    Splendor
    Participant

Mac is an a nice looking machine for me. I has surely some good programs here and there but for the same money as their top product i can buy a pc that is twice as fast and better overall pc. Even build it myfelf. Lucas572, you are bs yourself. Overall is your skills that make it happen not you computer. And clients doesn’t care is you have a mac or pc as long you do your thing. That is what matter!

chrisburton
    Participant

@ivovargas Sounds like you’re wanting someone to help you with your problem rather than contributing to the discussion with a valid point.

Splendor
    Participant

yes, i’ve been looking at ubuntu for vfx, 3d rendering, do you have any good suggestion of system?

Splendor
    Participant

oki, a guy told about me about feodora system was good for vfx and 3d rendering..but i haven’t tested that yet. But Kerkythea doesn’t sounds familiar at all, but i’ll check on that :)

TheDoc

It’s funny, I’ve been using a Mac for more than a decade now but I still think it comes down to personal preference. I actually quite enjoy Windows 7 and I’m hoping Windows 8 will close the gap between my enjoyment of both OSs.

While I do all of my work (web development) and a Mac, I do bootcamp into Windows 7 to play games. I think that’s the best part about owning a mac, the fact that you can run both operating systems is fantastic.

There *are* some apps that are only available on OS X, but I think they are more ‘nice-to-haves’ rather than ‘essentials-for-design’.

theplastickid
    Participant

What about if you want to download all of your development software for free and pirate it, is it harder on a mac? lol.

Senff
    Participant

@JoshWhite I agree, a Dell and a Macbook Pro will result in obviously different reactions. But then, (most) Dell’s are kinda low-end….and definitely look like it.

I’m sure that if you would have pulled out a super fancy shiny Acer notebook (like this one) would have also resulted in a clearly different reaction over the Dell.

So when it comes to client perception, I’d say it’s best to just come up with a good looking machine – but not necessarily a Mac. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.