Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Do you use a plugin for IP banning spammers in WP?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vincent

Do you use a plugin to IP ban spammers on your WordPress sites?

Matt

Askimet to a degree. Though, to be honest, IP bans are largely ineffective because one could just change their IP immediately. Ex. I have a button on my modem that instantly changes my IP address when pushed. It can go from something in the 74.*.*.* range to something in the 96.*.*.* or even higher.

vincent

The same Russian spam bot signs up on one of my sites like every week. I get them email then just delete him.

Username: partsunker
    Email: [email protected]

It just joined again, it never does it twice in two days :O

and mostly many people have dynamic IP addresses which changes everytime you reconnect your web. I also have it, I think :shock: Gosh, I never checked lol

There must be other ways to stop that kind of a spam.. Just google for it ;)

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

For the record, there is IP blacklisting built into WordPress. No need for a plugin.

vincent

I know where the place is to blacklist comments and stuff… but, how do you get the IP of the spammer? The one that keeps registering on one of my sites hasn’t got a chance to comment or anything because I delete it like instantly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.