Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Do you think having two sites linked together is not a good idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    iizag
    Participant
    iizag
    Participant

No my hosting company that I pay for told me ( as I chatted with a rep through there online chat) that they don’t recommend I connect all of my wordpress sites into One blog because it is harder for me to ( if I remember correctly them telling me ) update or make changes or something like that as its easier for me to mess up another site and harder for them to make a change if I ever ask them to make one. Something like that, but like I said I don’t really mind not having them connected

npav
    Participant

Doing it that way would be very expensive and harder to manage, since you would be purchasing multiple domains.

What you could do is make subdomains, such as videos.birdstoday.com, those are free and you can have as many as you’d like.

although I still don’t know what’s wrong with birdstoday.com/videos.

You may be over complicating the matter, but it’s up to you.

Alen
    Participant

There’s nothing necessarily wrong with having two sites as you have them set up now. The only downside I see is with SEO. However it could also be a good thing, you’re essentially link-building.

If you want, WordPress templates offer a way to have both by using custom post types, then just designing each template to correspond with the layout you want. Both can live under one domain.

@chrisburton, I would not recommend conditionally loading CSS (in this use case). We would still be dealing with same html structure. Which might be totally different from the way we would want to present videos. So it’s much better if we split the responsibility to each template. Saves you lots of headache as well if you need to make changes. You just load the appropriate template and go nuts.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.