Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Do you think having two sites linked together is not a good idea?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    iizag
    Participant

Hi I was wondering if there are any cons to this idea:

Having a site for content and then like in the menu bar having a link called videos but the link sends you to another website for videos.

For example a made up website called : birdstoday.com that has mainly articles on it. but then you click a video link on its menu bar, which sends you to birdstodayvideos.com and in that website theirs a link to go back to birdstoday.com. So they are one website in a sense because there linked and share the same name with just the word videos being the difference.

I want to do something like this so I can have two premium themes I bought. One is for videos and one Is built for content. So my real website will look better. Because honestly all the video gallery plugins right now I find horrible. Msn.com has a great looking video gallery, Im guessing they own the rights to that code, but the only thing the would come close to something looking good is actually just a video theme not a plugin. Even msn.com has videos on another website called today.com that is linked the same way I am asking this question.

Are there any downsides to this idea?

__
    Participant

What you are describing does not require different domain names. Likewise, having similar domain names does not create any special “connection” between websites; nor does linking to each other.

Using different CSS styling on different pages doesn’t require a separate site. Hosting videos doesn’t require a separate site. The only reason for a second domain name is if you want one.

So, do you want two sites? Will they stand independently? If the two sites are intended to work together, and not to be used separately, then I don’t see any real reason to make two sites.

iizag
    Participant

Thanks for the response. But You can not have two themes on one site? I know I can have videos and content on one site but I was saying that I wanted a great looking video gallery but no plugins I see can make the nice one I would like. Only a wordpress theme specially made for videos would make it look like that.

chrisburton
    Participant

I think that would just require PHP. You would need to tell WordPress that all pages have style.css except the video page where you would use gallery.css. Make sense?

__
    Participant

But You can not have two themes on one site? I know I can have videos and content on one site but I was saying that I wanted a great looking video gallery but no plugins I see can make the nice one I would like. Only a wordpress theme specially made for videos would make it look like that.

Ahh…

1 . Didn’t catch that you were talking about WP.

2 . I suspect (as @chrisburton says) that it still wouldn’t be a problem, though I’m not a WP guy and don’t know specifically how you would do it.

Alen
    Participant

This is really getting annoying!

iizag
    Participant

Thanks for all the reply’s :-). Yes it is WP , I forgot to mention that.

I have never heard of being able to do this with WordPress , I do not think its possible? either that or iv never heard of that capability so I am unfamiliar with how to make that possible on my site.

So is it possible ?

Should I go with my 2 domain name idea then ?

again thanks for all the help

Alen
    Participant

Alen
    Participant

I’ve been trying to post that text for like 2hrs now! lol

__
    Participant

I’ve been trying to post that text for like 2hrs now! lol

lol

don’t worry, it’ll probably show up later. I’ve discovered that, when that happens, the only reasonable thing to do is give up (though the idea of a screenshot never occurred to me – I wonder if you’re smarter, or just manic-obsessive?).

It is getting out-of-hand. Very frustrating.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Alen Ahahaha.

Alen
    Participant

just manic-obsessive

Today.

Disappearing posts and wasted time. Hey but at least website is RESPONSIVE.

iizag
    Participant

lol thank you for posting that and I am sorry it took so much work to post.

I have heard of custom post types but have not gone into learning php code just yet :
    (http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/create-your-first-wordpress-custom-post-type)
    That looks pretty intense for me to learn right now ( but I will learn it soon) I don’t know , but I guess everyone here is saying pretty much that two websites linked is not a bad thing.

Do you think from a user point of view clicking and being followed to a new website would seem strange or no? I mean since it will be 2 sites I will not have the same theme on both sites. I will use the one I use now for content, and would go and buy a theme that is made for just videos. So that site will look different. But if they want to go back to articles they can click an article button and be sent to the original content page.

Any new tips, advice comments are welcomed :-) Thanks for all the help so far guys!

Steven Morgan
    Participant

Without making the theme custom from scratch I don’t see a simple way to do this. I would use your main theme and look for some high quality video plugins from a place like ThemeForest, and not the WordPress.org plugins.

If you wanted to change something simple like a background you could say:

if ( is_page('services') {
        <style type='text/css">body {background: black;} </style>

else if ( is_page('videos') {
        <style type='text/css">body {background: red;} </style>
    }

Obviously thats a minimalistic example, but you get what I mean.

I agree multisite would be a good way to do it. If you follow the simple instructions here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network that will walk you through it.

Then you can log in with one username/password and manage all of your sites. Each site will be assigned to a folder or a subdomain.

Ex.
    videos.mywebsite.com
    mywebsite.com/videos

iizag
    Participant

Thanks for your response, actually I have thought of creating a newtwork but my hosting company advised me not to, as it would be more of a challange to do things for me through ftp and for them in some sense. So I decided not to , even though it would be nice. I really dont mind typing in a password everytime for each site. And ok, I wont use a tempalte. So I guess my only option is two sites then ?

And about the plugins from codecanyon ( which I love) I have not found a good plugin gallery for videos. I found one called tube gallery but its in conflict I assume with my premium theme that I got from themeforest. The reason I said I assume is because the plugin author tells me its the theme and the theme author tells me its the plugin. It just goes back and forth and its been like 100 emails lol. The reason there is a conflict is because even though the plugin works, on firefox I noticed the plugin creates a greyed out hoirzontal scroll bar. I have no idea how to get rid of it but know its 100% the plugin because when I deactivate it , its gone. And thats the theme authors argument. So I am at a loss. the website I am creating ( and the page that you can see the plugin error ) is : (“http://iamdentistry.com/videos-home/inspiring-media/ “)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.