Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Do I need a contract to sell my web design services?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    CrocoDillon
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

Great article @CrocoDillon

JayJay141
    Participant

@CrocoDillon, yea this article help allot

chrisburton
    Participant

For those of you looking for contracts online instead of hiring your own lawyer, Docracy is a great resource with legal documents for web designers.

TheDoc

Sweet find, @chrisburton.

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc It was in my bookmarks bar the whole time.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Bookmarked Chris, thnx! By the way I have [this contract](https://gist.github.com/malarkey/4031110) from Andy Clarke bookmarked a while ago as well, for comparison if nothing else. Seems it’s on docracy as well.

Philben
    Participant

Thanks guys – very helpful tips!

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

This is the kind of stuff I rarely see on dev sites, deff worth looking at for everyone who does development. Thanks again @chrisburton and @CrocoDillon for sharing and @mitso for sparking this convo.. I totally bookmarked a couple things after this post.

chrisburton
    Participant

I can’t really dive into this right now in detail but $15 is really low. Most contracts are based on some sort of payment plan. Usually 50% upfront.

chrisburton
    Participant

is that 50% of an estimated cost?

I think once you’ve been doing this for a while you sort of know how much time a project will take you. A contract helps keep things on schedule but that’s not to say issues don’t come up. Many freelancers ask for 50% upfront. This is also used as a “kill fee”. This way, if the people who’ve hired you back out or have to cancel for any reason, you still get paid for what you’ve done.

As a freelancer, you don’t receive the same perks of a 401k or health benefits that come with a corporate position . You have to provide that yourself. Do you think working for $15/hr will benefit you after thinking about those things? What about rent or mortgage payments? Food? Internet? Software? Retirement? These are all the things that you need to run a business and survive.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.