Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Django vs Rails

• # December 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Just about to delve into the wonderful world of Python with the Django framework. Aside from the official website tutorial, does anyone have any advice or guidance on using it?

Figured I would give myself a couple of weeks on this then a couple on Ruby on Rails and pick my preferred one to progress learning fully

# December 28, 2011 at 12:41 am

I tried both and prefer Rails to python…but, obviously, each have their own pros and cons…Unfortunately I am not familiar with Django though…Hopefully someone else on here is though! When you start rails, start at the site below. Excellent approach and you solve simple problems using what you learned to progress to the next lesson…It was like strapping a rocket to my back when i first started rails…

http://railsforzombies.org/

# December 28, 2011 at 6:54 am

Cheers, however I have to say I think you’ve possibly made a mistake in your comparison. Comparing Rails to Python is an unbalanced comparison, Rails is a framework whereas Python is a language. Any person of sane mind would prefer Rails to Python because frameworks are designed to make things easier. Python should be compared to raw Ruby not the Rails framework

# December 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm

In retrospect i was not quite clear on what i meant lol, i can see how you could have been a little perplexed by that…

I meant overall Python is a pain in my butt personally with or without a framework :)

and i simply love Ruby.

# December 28, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Ah, fair enough, makes sense to me!

I’ve been through the intro tutorials to both of them. Rails was a pain to install, kicking up a fuss over file permissions constantly, whereas Django was really easy.

However, having used them both for a little while I must say I am impressed by both of them, Rails moreso. Will have to do a bit more digging to see if Rails can do what I want (I know Django can) before I make a choice though

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".