Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Divs – making them 100% of the page?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi, I would like to know how to make a div, with a background image repeat for 100% of the page. I have tried for a while to fix it, but I am still left with a small white border round the edge.

Here is my CSS

Code:
    body {
    background-color:#fff;
    }

#repeat {
    background-image:url(‘../images/box.png’);
    background-repeat:repeat-x;
    width:100%;
    margin:0 auto;
    padding:0;
    margin:0;
    }

a {
    font-family:Calibri, “Arial Narrow”, Helvetica, Sans-serif;
    color:#fff;
    font-size:16px;
    }

and here is my markup

Code:

Problem Repeating

Here is a link to a live example – http://tomsbigbox.com/coffeebeans, by the way on the page is another images, just for reference.

Any help would be very much appreciated, as it is driving me insane!

Rob MacKay
    Participant

firstly the border round the edge of the page is because you need a browser CSS reset…

if you add:

Code:
    * { margin: 0; padding:0 }

to the top of your CSS – that will get rid of the "border" which is actually just the default browser CSS. I would look into CSS resets more, there are some great ones out there, personally I prefer Yahoo’s option, you can find that here:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/reset/

Now onto the repeat… what do you want it to do – repeat vertically or horizontally? – Normally what you would do is set the background of your HTML…

So for your example I would do this:

Remove the background colour from your body tag, then:

Code:
    html {
    background:url(../images/box.png) repeat-x 0px 60px;
    height:100%;
    }

If thats what you mean let me know and I will show you how to do it better… if not let me know what you mean :)

Hi, thanks Robskiwarrior for the reply – it has worked! Like I say thanks a lot for this, I have looked everywhere! Is this because of default properties set by the browser?

Thanks again

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "tomwalters5678" wrote:
    Hi, thanks Robskiwarrior for the reply – it has worked! Like I say thanks a lot for this, I have looked everywhere! Is this because of default properties set by the browser?

Thanks again

yea like al_m473 its the default way a browser applys a CSS Style from its own CSS file, until you tell it otherwise, it will follow those rules. :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.