Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS DIV Width Not Expanding To Fit Width Of Child DIV – IE7

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    synapse88

I have a page with an ASP.NET Gridview on it…this Gridview is located in a child DIV inside a parent DIV. That Gridview can often go wider than the parent DIV width set. In IE6 the MAINDIV (Parent DIV) would expand to fit the expanded Gridview contained within the child DIV. In IE7 the DIV will not expand so it overlaps the DIV and looks bad. I want that MainDiv to dynamically grow with the child DIV width, like it did in IE6.

Please see my code below. I want the MainDiv to remain ~800px unless it is pushed out further.

Thanks for any ideas on a fix for this. Whenever I try min-width it just blows the parent DIV out to 100% screen size.

Code:
    <%@ Master Language="VB" CodeFile="themaster.master.vb" Inherits="themaster" %>

dcp3450
    Participant

The first thing I notice is all your widths are set to 800px and 797px.

I was going to suggest min-width till i read the last line. Try this:

make your mainDiv with no width. However, add padding to the mainDiv. This will cause the main div to auto fit to your child div and add the spacing around the divs.

<div id="mainDiv" style="position:relative;top:10px;padding: 5px;height:auto; background-color:white;border:solid 1px #666666">

synapse88

If I don’t include a width it takes up 100% screen size

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.