Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Digital Download – Unique link

• # November 24, 2008 at 9:34 am

It’s not really a CSS question – Sorry!

I am creating a website for someone and they want visitors to the website to be able to purchase music.
    After paying via PayPal they need to be automatically sent a link to download the song which stops working after a while.

Any ideas?

I have been searching google for hours and I don’t know if I am using the wrong search term or something, but I can’t find what I’m looking for :(

I’d really appreciate any help!

# November 24, 2008 at 9:51 am

What’s the question? What’s the envrionment you are using?

# November 24, 2008 at 11:01 am

Plain HTML/CSS pages.

On one page there are PayPal "Buy Now!" buttons, so you click the button for the song you want, and it takes you to PayPal so you can pay.

Then when you have paid, I want PayPal or the website to send an email to you saying "Thanks for purchasing this song, hope you like it ……… here is your unique download link"

You then click that link to download the song, and after a certain amount of time or a certain number of downloads the link stops working.

I hope that makes sense :S

# November 24, 2008 at 11:29 am

Yeah, that makes sense, but with plain html/css you can’t solve that problem.

You should consider using some open-source stuff for this/write your own solution/hire a freelancer to write it for you.

# November 24, 2008 at 11:34 am
    "warnew" wrote:
    Yeah, that makes sense, but with plain html/css you can’t solve that problem.

they’d already said that this isn’t really a CSS related question, they just want to know how to do it.

# November 24, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Check out the E-Junkie Site, that might help http://www.e-junkie.com/

# November 24, 2008 at 4:49 pm

E-Junkie looks almost perfect.

But does anyone know of an alternative to E-Junkie that is downloadable so it can be installed on my own server rather than being hosted remotely. I would also like one that is either Open Source, or a single payment, not a monthly charge. Does such a thing exist?

I was thinking that what I want is similar to what is used on countless thousands of E-Book selling website, any ideas what they use?

Thanks for all your help so far guys!

# November 24, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I believe drupal has some modules that provide this kind of functionality, so that might be worth a look.

# November 24, 2008 at 6:12 pm

FoxyCart can do it too. I’ll be doing a video on this soon.
    http://www.foxycart.com/

They are also a monthly-fee service though. I don’t know of any open source solution off hand. (but there probably is one)

# November 24, 2008 at 6:28 pm

FoxyCart also looks good but I really need it to be an OpenSource or one off payment solution.

There is no way I can see my client paying every month, having said that $15 is about €12, not a lot really.

I’m trying Drupal as I type, but if anyone knows of a better solution please let me know!

# November 24, 2008 at 7:22 pm

I have just come across this:

http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/

It’s a wordpress addon, and it supports digital downloading, and it’s free!

@Chris: Might be worth including this in your video! I am seting it up now and it seems very straightforward!

# November 28, 2008 at 5:46 pm

I also purchased their GoldCart addon along with the MP3 player addon.

There is a slight problem in the code meaning that the MP3 files are referenced as Text in the database so I need to edit that every time.

But other than that it works great! $40 well spent!

I would reccomend anyone needing something similar to give it a try. The free version should be suffiecient for most things. And if you know what you are doing, I’m sure you could make it look however you like!

# November 28, 2008 at 9:09 pm

The best solution I have seen for this is, https://www.payloadz.com/account/acct_levels.asp

it works directly with Paypal, 2checkout, and Google checkout, and really affordable prices for the amount of data you can transfer.

It doesn’t meet the requirements of a local solution, or no-monthly fee, but appears to be a nice alternative to e-junkie.

Edit: Sorry, I didn;t notice the second page on this… but I’ll leave the link as a future reference.

# November 30, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Thanks anyway. It’s good to know of a few possible solutions incase you need one in a future project :)

# November 30, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Paypal IPN – Look that up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".