Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Difference between Web Designing and UI Designing

• # April 3, 2013 at 5:04 am

Hello Everyone,

Anyone tell me,

Difference between Web Designing and UI Designing

# April 3, 2013 at 7:18 am

I think web design is simply designing websites. UI design the look and feel of anything digital.

# April 3, 2013 at 8:14 am

Pretty much what @Jarolin said. From my understanding web design covers websites whilst UI design covers anything that uses a graphical user interface, this covers things like websites though but could be anything where a UI needs to be thought of.

# April 3, 2013 at 8:37 am

not clear..

# April 3, 2013 at 12:30 pm

There is too much overlap between the two to be very *clear*. UI Design is *generally* specific to interfaces used in apps.

# April 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Think of it as Web Design being a sub-category of UI Design.

# April 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

@manojnaanak

Web Design vs UI Design … hmmm. I have a few random thoughts:

1. Web Design could apply to coding only. I think there’s a significant grey area here, though. For example, if a Graphic Designer gives you a PSD mock up of what a site is to look like, complete with images and such, some may argue that you’re not designing anything, you’re structuring. I don’t know how I feel about that, though, because there’s plenty of styling (which I would call designing) that goes into creating a beautiful site … navigation, typeface, text elements; even the structure itself could be considered a design. Then again, if all this is provided to you, how much designing are you really doing?

2. UI Design, I think, applies more to function. A website about your dog doesn’t require any UI design. A website like Facebook or Twitter, however, does.

Final thoughts: I think that UI Design and Graphic Design are in the category of “vision and dream” … “this is what I THINK it should LOOK like” or “this is what I THINK it should WORK like” where as Web Design and Web Development are more in the category of “bringing it to fruition” … “This is HOW we make it LOOK this way” and “this is HOW we make it WORK this way”.

Not sure if this was what you were looking for but it’s what came to my mind. Again, just my opinions.

Best,

Tanner

# April 3, 2013 at 2:05 pm

It’s one of the few professions where function follows form … in most cases. For that reason I actually believe that Web Development and Web Design are WAY harder than UI Design and Graphic Design. The latter professions get a free range of creativity to work with, the prior professions are locked into making someone else’s vision work completely.

Again, just thoughts. :)

# April 3, 2013 at 2:11 pm

My 2 Cents,

Web design is display, graphical look etc,

UI Design is interaction, the way an element will respond when interacted with.

# April 3, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Money!

# April 9, 2013 at 4:49 am

I think there is no any exact difference between them.

Thanks to give response

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".