Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Detect on what page are you with jQuery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Hi folks,

I need little help with detecting what page user is at so jQuery sets class to different element. This I wish to use for main navigation, so i don’t have to edit html – set/erase class from elements. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Senff
    Participant

What do you want to detect, actually? The page name? Page URL? Filename? The value of the H1 element? It really depends on your page structure how you want to do this, so we’ll need to see your site.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

File name I think will be most appropriate like index.html, contact.html…? But URL, page title will be fine too.

EDIT: and navigation is structured nav/ul/li/a

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Is it possible that if a’s href value “index.html” matches file name of the page you are on – “index.html” class is added to a?

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@VladimirKrstic,

Hey, I didn’t have a lot of time cuz i gotta go make dinner lol… But i had to play with something..

Maybe this will get you on track?

http://codepen.io/johnmotyljr/pen/ExHJh

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Thank you @JohnMotylJr it help me understand a bit how it could be achieved but still I didn’t make it work. :(

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@VladimirKrstic,

you just want to add a class to the link that matches the page?

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

yup.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant
    VladimirKrstic
    Participant

@JohnMotylJr Thank you man i owe you a drink. Still i had to change one line to make it work. Your code works in Codepen but don’t works in browsers with this line it’s vice versa.

a = a.substring(a.lastIndexOf(‘/’));

Thanks again! Cheers!

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Or as a one-liner (well, after `pathname` that is…): `$(‘[href*=”‘+pathname+'”]’).addClass(‘selected’);` ;)

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@VladimirKrstic of course man, that’s why these forums ROCK!

@CrocoDillon
    FTW!! Good add man, i’ve never had to do that before so its nice to see your implementation. Thanks!

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Any time :)

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@VladimirKrstic, @CrocoDillon, So i was browsing the snippets section and just realized that Chris Coyier posted a snippet for this EXACT situation lol… Figured i would provide the link for future reference:

Add Active Navigation Class Based on URL

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Lol indeed! Almost the same solution as well ;D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.