Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Designing without divs, spans, IDs nor classes

• # November 15, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Okay, call me crazy, but I’d really like to know if there’s any serious work being done with html5 using clever alternatives to divs and spans and targeting selectors without resorting to IDs and classes, all while complying to the latest web standards.

Maybe it’s just an obsession with minimalistic coding.

# November 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm

OK…you’re crazy.

If you aren’t using any elements / css you get a white page with black text on it.

However, my guess is that you haven’t explained yourself properly.

# November 15, 2012 at 3:28 pm

You mean ONLY newer HTML5 elements such as HEADER, SECTION, FOOTER, ASIDE, and so on, and not using any actual DIVs or SPAN elements, and not use any classes or IDs at all?

It’s theoretically possible but I can’t think of a single reason why you’d want that. It’s like building a house of cardboard — it CAN be done but you’re much better off using the classic bricks and wood.

# November 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm

It literally depends on your design.

# November 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Would be silly to do, I think, but using only HTML5 elements you could get a pretty simple design.

# November 15, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Please understand that HTML5 is meant to be an extension of what we already have, not a replacement.

# November 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Let’s not forget that div, span etc ARE HTML5 elements and have their place.

:)

# November 15, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Exactly, @Paulie_D!

# November 16, 2012 at 12:10 pm

To avoid using classes and IDs, you could rely on :nth-child and :nth-of-type pseudo-selectors. Good luck to style a 300 to 1000 nodes DOM with those things. :D

# November 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

…and good luck with ‘older’ browsers*

_*wink_

# November 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm

The big question is, why would you want to do this in the first place….?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".