Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Designing without divs, spans, IDs nor classes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hlars

Okay, call me crazy, but I’d really like to know if there’s any serious work being done with html5 using clever alternatives to divs and spans and targeting selectors without resorting to IDs and classes, all while complying to the latest web standards.

Maybe it’s just an obsession with minimalistic coding.

Paulie_D

OK…you’re crazy.

If you aren’t using any elements / css you get a white page with black text on it.

However, my guess is that you haven’t explained yourself properly.

Senff
    Participant

You mean ONLY newer HTML5 elements such as HEADER, SECTION, FOOTER, ASIDE, and so on, and not using any actual DIVs or SPAN elements, and not use any classes or IDs at all?

It’s theoretically possible but I can’t think of a single reason why you’d want that. It’s like building a house of cardboard — it CAN be done but you’re much better off using the classic bricks and wood.

chrisburton
    Participant

It literally depends on your design.

TheDoc

Would be silly to do, I think, but using only HTML5 elements you could get a pretty simple design.

Paulie_D

Let’s not forget that div, span etc ARE HTML5 elements and have their place.

:)

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

To avoid using classes and IDs, you could rely on :nth-child and :nth-of-type pseudo-selectors. Good luck to style a 300 to 1000 nodes DOM with those things. :D

Paulie_D

…and good luck with ‘older’ browsers*

_*wink_

Senff
    Participant

The big question is, why would you want to do this in the first place….?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.