Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Design Idea – Windows 8

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chester
    Participant

Hi, I was thinking of redesigning my site and make it like the “Windows 8” start screen. Same colors probably, metro tiles, and layout. It’s 99% the same.

My concern is about the copying/stealing thing.

So what do you think, is it OK or its a big NO NO.

Thanks.

chrisburton
    Participant

> My concern is about the copying/stealing thing

I think you answered your own question.

Chester
    Participant

Yeah, I thought so.
    Anyway, I came across this site on google. So maybe I could use metro-style but not totally make it like the windows 8 start screen.

????

chrisburton
    Participant

Although an old design, it has always been one of my favorites. http://naomiatkinson.com

You might want to check out masonry.js

Chester
    Participant

Thanks guys. At least I can still play with metro tiles.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

You don’t have nothing to worry about. Square is not something you can copyright. Thought Apple don’t think so. But i don’t give a fak about marketing fagz. Just don’t use Sagoe font and you’ll be fine.

chrisburton
    Participant

> Same colors probably, metro tiles, and layout. It’s 99% the same.

@VladimirKrstic
    Copying someone else’s work is something to worry about. Keep in mind there is something called “trade dress“. And whether it’s legal or illegal still doesn’t make it right. The OP mentioned his would basically be 99% the same thing. That wouldn’t be beneficial to him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Find out if microsoft legally owns that design. And if they find out about your website the worse they will do is ask you to take it down or change the design. They wont waste their time suing you. And i have seen websites with the same metro design, also AOL onece used that design.

chrisburton
    Participant

Take Microsoft out of the equation for a moment and replace it with CSS-Tricks. Would it be okay to copy CSS-Tricks? I’m a little disappointed that some of you think this sort of behavior is okay, whether it is legal or not. This doesn’t help drive your career in the industry.

For example, on my site, I used a bunch of subject matter for inspiration. Enough that I probably couldn’t cite them all and yet it doesn’t look like anyone else’s.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton as long as you don’t have the design in one hand and copying it down with the other. What i’m saying is that its okay if your website resembles others, but there’s a limit.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin Reread what the OP stated (“99% the same”). I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I just think we need to do our own thing when being inspired from others.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

@chrisburton
    You are right, it would not benefit him. I don’t expect that he plans to do any serious project that way. Think that’s just for some small site, right @chester ?

Chester
    Participant

@VladimirKrstic As I said I was thinking to do it on my own portfolio. It was on my mind so I asked the forum if it’s OK, but then you guys said it’s not a good idea, I respect that ofcourse.

Maybe I could do a quick draft on photoshop so you could see what was really on my mind when I thought of it.

Thanks guys.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Well it’s not a good idea now i can say too. I thought you need it for some not that “serious” project. For fun or something. But for your own portfolio don’t do it. Not because of legal issues but because of you and your work. Do something on your own. You can still create something similar to Metro look but don’t make it scream copy!

Just for info, I have designed my first portfolio maybe year or so before Windows Phone 7 was introduced. I have never finished it or put online. Design was god damn same as Metro today. I have 6 squares aligned in two rows that displayed animated info about how many items are in that section and new items added. Logo was aligned on same location as it’s proposed for Metro apps. I have side-panel on right who has search and who displayed quotes and some my writings. This looked pretty much as when you open search in Windows 8. Then Microsoft introduced WP and latter W8. I fall in love with them immediately, obviously because i have similar sensibility for design. Just some time later i realized “F*** I have designed same sh** before them”. I can curse myself now I didn’t patent live tiles. :) In truth back then i didn’t saw that as something cool. Just as small design decision for my small web site. I should call Steve Jobs, he would figure out how to sue them. :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@chester That might help us better understand where you’re coming from regarding the design.

@VladimirKrstic
    With all due respect, I don’t really see that as a logical way of thinking. Whether it’s for a large project or a personal portfolio site is irrelevant and doesn’t make it okay. Personally, I think you’re trying to justify it which won’t gain you respect from the industry.

Edit: Just saw your post, reading it now.

>Well it’s not a good idea now i can say too. I thought you need it for some not that “serious” project. For fun or something. But for your own portfolio don’t do it. Not because of legal issues but because of you and your work. Do something on your own. You can still create something similar to Metro look but don’t make it scream copy!

Exactly. I agree with that. If you’re using it to show others how to recreate the Windows UI in HTML and CSS, that’s obviously not a problem. It’s for learning purposes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.