Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Design expert? Need your help on new portfolio site!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    keithdevon

Hi guys,

I’m trying to set up as a web designer for small businesses, pubs, clubs, artisans, etc. I’ve tried to go for a hand drawn, wire frame sketch style. I still like the idea but i don’t feel like I’ve executed it as well as I would like.

http://www.keithdevon.com

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Keith

Ronnie

Alright Keith,

I’m not even close to being an expert so take my opinions with a pinch of salt.

Firstly I really like the theme you developed, it is different. I like the parallax image thing you have too it’s a nice touch. Overall I really like the design. The only thing that I think could look a little better is the typography used for content (e.g. the bit which says ‘Hi i’m Keith….’ . I don’t know why it is niggling at me. It could be because the text is slightly too large, or because it just seems to have been plonked there, maybe it will look better if it was sectioned off somehow, maybe a light solid colour background behind section, I’m not sure. I just think the white space around it currently makes it look like it is not sure were it is. It could be that a narrow page wrap would help but that would cock up a lot of other stuff I guess.

Anyway maybe I have given you some things to think about. But I’m no expert so I could be talking bollocks :lol: .

Cheers mate.

keithdevon

Thanks for the feedback Ronnie.

You picked out the exact same thing that’s been niggling me! Typography is def one of my weak points. I thought that it was just the font that was the issue but I’ll try some ‘sectioning’.

Cheers.

TheDoc

I agree, the typo needs a bit of work. There’s also a lot of white space on the home page that feels more awkward than anything else.

I absolutely love what you’ve done with the websites you’re displaying though. Showing the "idea" and then hovering over to the real thing is an absolutely amazing idea (that I may need to use in the future…).

keithdevon

Thanks TheDoc,

I’m really stuggling to know what to do with the text. I agree it looks totally out of place…

Anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this one?

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "keithdevon" wrote:
    Anyone have any ideas on how I might fix this one?

I’m not typography pro either, so I find a bad ass website, and "observe" how they did it and recreate the parts I like the most.

I like the gernal idea.
    I <3 the moving header. Fantastic.

I would definitely get rid of the dotted line around your content. Doesn’t fit IMHO

Also, get your alternative stylesheets to "stick" … I don’t remember exactly how off the top of my head, but I remember a great post about it on alistapart.com

Great work, overall… but it does feel like it needs some polishing.

keithdevon
    "AshtonSanders" wrote:
    I would definitely get rid of the dotted line around your content. Doesn’t fit IMHO

I agree. I was trying to find a way of sectioning off the page content so it didn’t look lost on the page. I’ll have another think.

"AshtonSanders" wrote:
    Also, get your alternative stylesheets to "stick" … I don’t remember exactly how off the top of my head, but I remember a great post about it on alistapart.com.

What do you mean by this? Is it when you manually change the time of day it will stay that way, even when you navigate to other pages? Can you remember what the technique is called?

Thanks buddy.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Oh. I see.

Yes, That’s what I mean: change the time of day, and it stays that way on other pages:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

keithdevon

Cheers, I’ll look into that.

I wonder is it possible to set the cookie duration, for say 2hrs, so that when someone returns later it will revert to the correct "time of day"? Thanks for the article link, I’ll def have a read.

james.davis

I really like your design. I am not sure how you feel about IE6 support, as I only use it because it is required at work. When I view it I see to gray border around all the png images you have. Other than that, it looks great!

keithdevon

Hi guys,

Your feedback has been great so far.

I’ve changed the style a bit recently. The crumpled paper is gone, as is the gradient background. I think it results in a much cleaner and professional look. I’ve also made the page narrower and given it elastic height.

http://www.keithdevon.com

I used cufon for the headings. Only problem is that the .js file size is 590k!! I might have to go back to image replacements cos I’m trying to get the load time down. Any thoughts on this?

Any ideas on how I might display my pieces on the portfolio page?

I still haven’t looked at IE6 compatibility. I’ll figure something out when I’m happy with the design.

Thanks again. Nearly finished…I hope!

Keith

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.