Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Database help needed.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    begabamboo
    Participant

Hey there,

Now, I hope this is the right place and/or the right forum to post this kind of question, but feel free to guide me elsewhere if the topic does not suit this site.

Anyway, I suspect my question is a pretty big ask but I’ll ask it regardless. Basically, I want to know how to implement some sort of database into a simple XHTML/CSS/JQUERY site to enable users to do functions such as searching, using a ‘browse’ form to find related entries and for the data to be displayed as a neat, CSS styled table.

Now if it helps, I’ll try to give a simple example (please excuse the silly subject but I picked something easy).

Let’s pretend my website sells new and used shoes of multiple brands and styles. A user could come to the website and use a form (preferably drop down menus so they don’t have to deal with spelling mistakes) to search the ‘database’ of shoes with information about each shoe. They might be able to choose the brand, the year it was released, gender, the size, and colour/s. When they put all this in and click ‘submit’, they are presented with the closest matches. If possible, not exactly their entry (otherwise they may never get exactly what they want), but hopefully in the right range, so it might take into consideration one size more and less or the same shoe in different colours etc.

Reading over all of that makes it seem pretty tough (to me at least), but if someone could offer any help, whether it is suggestions, examples, tutorials or whatever, I would be very grateful.

I’ll be the first to admit I am reasonably new to web development, though I have been learning CSS, HTML (etc) for a while and am well established with C++. So while I can quite easily read through ‘foreign’ scripting languages and understand what is going on, I am an outright beginner to javascript and PHP, but I am willing to learn.

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

Hi,
    this is a good place to start http://php.about.com/ but yeah definitely need to learn PHP and MySQL as what your describing is basically different queries. Once you have a database created with items stored its then down to the SQL part to ask the database your query and return results on screen.
    Hope this helps

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.