Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Custom WordPress Theme Issue – NEED HELP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chris

So, I have watched the word press series and finally mustard up enough strength to attempt it my wordpress theme can be found at http://www.chriscarvergraphics.com/blog my idea was to make it look like my portfolio which can be found at http://www.chriscarver.com I am having several problems though.

1. The light gray background in the main div is not flowing down to the footer, which it should be. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong and I feel as though I’ve tried everything. If you click the uncategorized section it works but when the content goes below that sidebar I have the problem

2. When you try to comment on any of the posts (which I just made as examples) the comment box is completely out of style. Does anyone know which file I need to style to fix this?

If anyone could help me with any of this it would be greatly appreciated. I love the css-tricks podcast. Thank you
    -Chris

ikthius

hey chris,

the wrapper for your main content in wordpress, has the CSS, for that part, got any overflow? Adding overflow: visible or auto makes your grey background appear, but also shows a scroll bar at the edge of that wrapper.

the best thing to do is to put in a comment, and see what html code is generated (view > source), then see what id’s/classes are being used, and then style all of them in your CSS file (this will help in the long run, cause then when wordpress updates, nothing breaks, adding in your own id’s &/or classes will be lost on an upgrade).

any & all styling should be done on your CSS file

also I see you have not cleared your floats, this will be your problem to your background.

Hey Chris,

The easiest way to style the comments is to add css for the existing comment templates. So, for example, if in your single.php you have the following:

Code:

This allows you to style your comments as follows:

Code:
    #comments h3 { }
    #comments ol { }
    #comments ol li { }
    #comments ol li cite { }

The call to the comments_template() function actually looks in your theme’s directory for a file called comments.php. If that file is not found, it will instead include wp-content/themes/default/comments.php. So you can get even more control over the display of comments by copying wp-content/themes/default/comments.php to your theme’s directory and editing it – editing the default comments.php is not recommended for the reasons stated by ikthius.

Hope this was helpful.
    Dave

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.