Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Custom Hand-Forged Knife Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hey guys,

I recently completed this website in Drupal. It’s my first time using Drupal, and although it’s a long learning curve, I survived. As you can tell it’s a pretty simple website design with the main purpose of getting email subscribers.

Carter Cutlery: http://www.cartercutlery.com/

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks,

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Thanks xheathen,

Strange… The text looks fine over here in 3.5. Are you on a mac per chance? I haven’t check that.

I’m glad IE is working for you. I’ve got some bug over here where IE is not loading the CSS at all. Makes it difficult to test…

Yea, about Drupal: Client had a very crappy coldfusion site (which was only static HTML) and a Godaddy shopping cart; both ugly. He didn’t care about what program was used.

I have done a lot of work with WordPress, and just a touch of work with Joomla. I wanted to learn enough about the largest OS website projects to be able to use the best programs for the different website proposals I get. I heard the "If you have a hammer, everything’s a nail" quote, which really struck home for me since I had fallen in love with WordPress. I didn’t want to be a "Oh yea, I could make that in WordPress" Developer. :geek: I wanted to be a "I’ve tried everything, and WordPress is the best for that" Developer. :ugeek: Only 50% serious on that one. Drupal is a huge program that does a lot automagically. I’m very impressed with Ubercart so far though- well worth making the site in Drupal.

Luminated

Drupal is intense! I really enjoyed working with it, but I had a team and I really felt I needed it…seemed like a lot to learn just on my own. The idea of nodes/blocks/views is amazing though and I can see the potential. Even whitehouse.gov is using Drupal now!

As far as the site, its nice…although try turning on CSS Compression (under performance) so IE doesn’t choke on the massive number of stylesheets.

I just completed this site in drupal:

http://tasteforlife.com/

We wanted to integrate Ubercart eventually but its on hold for quite some time.

Anyway, as far as your site goes, the one thing that really peeves me of the automatic start of the audio…for surfers like me who love their music loud, it makes me want to click away really quickly when a site does that. Otherwise, the site is very professional and I love the huge banner pictures with the opaque red background. The one other thing I would do is see if the navigation could stand out a bit more, for some reason the top links just don’t seem like links…perhaps even center it?

Oh and the text does the same for me. I changed the #mission { bottom:20px } to bottom:6px and that fixed it.

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "Luminated" wrote:
    Drupal is intense! I really enjoyed working with it, but I had a team and I really felt I needed it…seemed like a lot to learn just on my own. The idea of nodes/blocks/views is amazing though and I can see the potential.

Yea, it is definitely intense. Great for huge sites, way to much for small sites IMO. I may come across another site that needs it… we’ll see.

"Luminated" wrote:
    As far as the site, its nice…although try turning on CSS Compression (under performance) so IE doesn’t choke on the massive number of stylesheets.

oooooh, that could definitely be the problem in IE. I was afraid of doing that because it totally broke another dev website I was working on in Drupal… *crosses fingers* *flips switch* *success* Good point. It works in IE again. Yeay.

"Luminated" wrote:
    I just completed this site in drupal:

http://tasteforlife.com/

Cool. I like the design. The logo is hiding behind the nav in my FF 3.5, though.

"Luminated" wrote:
    Anyway, as far as your site goes, the one thing that really peeves me of the automatic start of the audio…

Yea… I have two clients now with that. (At least it’s only on the home page…)

"Luminated" wrote:
    The one other thing I would do is see if the navigation could stand out a bit more, for some reason the top links just don’t seem like links…perhaps even center it?

Yea. That was intentional to try to send most people to the four main sections (which are those four icons all over the place).

"Luminated" wrote:
    Oh and the text does the same for me. I changed the #mission { bottom:20px } to bottom:6px and that fixed it.

Thnx. I wanted to keep the 20px spacing everywhere so I brought the font-size down 1px. Looks better over here. How’s it look now?

Thanks for the tips and ideas, guys.

Luminated

Looks great now!

But thats weird you say your Firefox 3.5 is hiding the logo, mine doesn’t. Are you running a high DPI by any chance? I have no idea why that would do that.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

yea… no idea. I have a feeling my FF has morphed into it’s very own version of FF… I call it v3.strange :?

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Good. The CSS/Javascript optimization must have fixed it.

Yea, it’s a great system with an equally epic learning curve. I’ve also haven’t been able to create an easy-to-use admin area for "handing off to clients." Thankfully this client has a nerd working for him who can handle the interface.

I’ve seen that CMS before, and wish I had time to look into it (and all the other good ones…)

MrBrightside
    Participant

Not too bad, not too bad at all.

Here’s my annoyances:
    1)Seems like everything is cramped, it would really nice to have some whitespace (place where there’s nothing but blank page, no images, no text) to let the design breathe, that way the users don’t get overwhelmed with too much text.

2)The sound is okay, just don’t make it play automatically. People don’t expect websites to speak so often it’s sort of annoying when they decide to every time you refresh the page (1st time okay, 2nd, 3rd, 100th, not so cool)

3)Along the lines of 1) use some line spacing, it makes it much more readable.

4)You might ant to style your fields and buttons so they match everything else.

5)The shopping cart is kind of hard to find which seems like it would be a pretty important part of the site.

That’s my advice, I haven’t been web developing half as long as you have, take it for what it’s worth.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.