Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS Vertical-align challenge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    begetolo
    Participant

I would to like accomplish the following:
    I have 5 divs floated:left.
    Div 1,3 and 5 have an image
    Div 2 and 4 just text.
    I would like to vertical center the text.

see: http://codepen.io/begetolo/pen/nHqID

Ofcourse i could do a margin top on the text divs, but that wouldn’t work. It should be responsive…

Any ideas?

Paulie_D

From my reading it does look as though the imagebox/textbox divs will need to have a specified height.

Will that be an issue?

begetolo
    Participant

Yes it would, because then it would no longer be responsive….

Paulie_D

Then as far as I can tell, you’re going to have a problem given the proposed structure.

A JS solution would seem to be optimal.

begetolo
    Participant

THX Paulie_D. JS is an option, but i would like to do this with just CSS. Looks like such simple problem with a really simple solution….

Anonymous
    Inactive

One method you could use is set the five divs to display: inline-block; and vertical-align: middle;.

Only issue with this method is support in older versions of IE. That said you could just make float a fallback for IE and call it a day!

Let me know if you have issues, but I’m 90% certain this will work.

EDIT: One thing to note about this method is it will added extra spaces between your divs. Simply set the div wrapping those five divs to font-size: 0; and it should solve that problem.

Got it working based off your example pen: http://codepen.io/TheDark1105/pen/zfqam

begetolo
    Participant

@Eric, thanks. I’ll have a look at that.
    @TheDark12. I already used this solution, but then the div’s are all equal in size. That’s just the ‘problem’.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, so you want dynamic width and vertical alignment in the middle?

In this case, instead of trying to find some oddball CSS solution that may or may not work/look the same in every browser why not just use a table?

Web developers treat them like the plague, but in cases like this where it just makes perfect sense don’t hesitate to use them.

begetolo
    Participant

@TheDark12 A table would be the way to go, i think. Thanks very much for your help. Much appreciated.
    I didn’t think about that, because it’s ages ago when i last used a table. I’ll give it a try. :)

begetolo
    Participant

Table looks great for this solution
    http://codepen.io/begetolo/pen/nHqID
    Thanks again for the help.

begetolo
    Participant

I won´t copy and paste this pen in my project for sure. I just use CodePen to fiddle. See if things work. Now i see it works, i will adapt the idea. But thanks for your suggestion display:table;

dhiruSingh

@begetolo.. you can use this code, its working fine for me…!!

height:150px; width:150px; background:#efefef; text-align:center; display:table-cell; vertical-align:middle;
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Less browser support to be clear, but display: table; and display: table-cell; are also a solution.

However, see this article by Chris:
    https://css-tricks.com/css-tables-are-not-a-solution/

I agree with him in this case. Granted while personally I would never use a table for layout, to get the exact functionality that @begetolo needs a table is the best solution. :)

And honestly there just isn’t one ‘right’ way to go about it. Just go with a solution that you’re comfortable with.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@joshuanhibbert As would I!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I don’t feel quite as strongly about it. I do stick to the sentiment that if you just use a bunch of divs and set their display properties to the various table stuff and think you’re being “more semantic” that’s still a little ridiculous. But these days, those elements might actually be HTML5 semantic elements and that would be a bit of a help. Then with media queries, if you go changing around the display properties, it probably makes the most sense to start with divs (e.g. at widest width perhaps display: table is useful, but you switch to flexbox for mobile or something like that).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.