Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS-Tricks – wordpress pages posts etc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shavenraver

I’m trying to figure out how I might structure my own wordpress site… incorporating Video “features” much in the same way as this site does

I’m just wondering why (and what the advantages/disadvantages are) Chris has decided to post his videos as Pages and not posts.

Would a video as post in a particular category not serve the same purpose as a page with a parent?

Cheers

shavenraver

Ha ha – one comment, user deleted.

shavenraver

Sorry to bump, but i”m sure people have opinions on this

Thanks

TheDoc

Not really sure why he’s decided to go that route – must have some reason though. Looks more like personal preference than anything.

shavenraver

I guess so

Do you think the screencast number is automatically generated? If so, do you have any idea how this might be done?

Cheers

ccc630

I’ve been pondering this for a few days…the only thing I can come up with is that the Codex defines pages as content that exists outside the normal chronological flow of posted content (or words to that effect — I can’t get at the Codex at the moment). So, using Pages for the videos keeps them tidy and separate from other tutorial content, which can vary pretty widely in terms of topic and presentation (ie sometimes it’s a quick tip, sometimes a lengthy explanation; sometimes solid production-ready technique, sometimes more proof-of-concept).

Let’s go to the source, though: I’d love to hear from @ChrisCoyier on this topic. :)

TheDoc

I’m sure Chris has numbered the videos as part of the page title.

shavenraver

Thanks Guys,

I’m new to wordpress but the more I learn about it the more I get the sense that the lines between pages and posts have been blurred with each update.

I mean, I’m not certain, but I would think you could style and target post categories in the same way you could style pages.

I guess that although pages are timestamped, they’re not part of the loop. Is this right?

shavenraver

Well, I’ve just been watching Chris’s video on custom fields and he’s running a loop on pages, so I guessed wrong… pages can be part of the loop

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.