Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design css-tricks new design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Alen
    Participant

I find myself clicking back to forums main and then to another forum topic often.

This. + Gazillion!

chrisburton
    Participant

I really like the way this design has changed. One thing that does bother me a bit is the bold font weight for Ideal Sans. I think it’s a bit too much. Maybe semibold or medium would suffice.

jimmy
    Participant

Hey, few comments if I may:

• ABUNDANCE of white color in comments, especially lack of even slight border between textarea and comment form wrap and between original comment and the replying comment. Maybe that’s just me, but it makes me a bit lost.
    • CodePen and ShopTalk modules on the bottom aren’t aligned to each other in mobile view.

Other than that, amazing design, it looks stunning and I love ALL THE COLORS.

Way to go, Chris! I was REALLY surprised seeing the new design here, like “did I type that thing correctly? oh it’s v11”!

KhaiM
    Participant

I think the new design looks great! Although I think everything does seem a bit in your face when I first stumbled upon the new look.

Overall, great work.

Lynda
    Participant

LOVE the new design! Great work. I especially love the way you built the search box. Very cool! Going to have to try that one. Anything to know special about it or is it plain CSS?

The buttons are also very cool! Love the changes and the movement. I have to give them a try too!

Out of curiosity why the XXX when you hover over the logo? Just curious.

Bert
    Participant

Nice, very nice. Clean and responsive, but I do miss the *. :)

markthema3
    Participant

I like the design, was kinda surprised to not see a blog post about it. Have you documented this revision in The Lodge like the last one? Been considering a subscription for a while, if I get to see the process for two different revisions it’d easily be enough for me to justify it, even if the price goes up a bit.

yaswanth
    Participant

as I said
    I am on Windows/Chrome 33.0.1750.146 m

Thanks. I appreciate your attitude. Regardless of that, can you be more specific? Windows has a few versions of itself. XP, Vista, Windows 7?

Problem is there with the Chrome version. It doesn’t roundup the fonts as Firefox & IE do.! on win xp & win 7.! (I dont know behavior on win 8)

Please check the below image which illustrates the little annoying problem with the main-nav tabs.

Click Here! –> Here, I had highlighted a part on Almanac!.

When I click in that region, the page is not taking me to “Almanac”. Instead it is taking me to “Videos” section.!

When I had inspected it, I had observed you are using SVG to draw the curve at atmost right of every tab ( am i ri8?)

but, the link is attached to ‘a‘ which is rectangle in shape, & link click-able area is extending on to the tab on right.!

chrisburton
    Participant

Regarding the font rendering, according to H&FJ, the problem is that Chris was not using the correct ScreenSmart fonts for body text. It now appears that Chris has chosen to use web-safe fonts for body copy so this should not be an issue for Windows users. Although, it would be nice to see him stick with something less ubiquitous and use the correct ScreenSmart typefaces.

As for the SVG issue, you can tag @chriscoyier.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I understand the SVG issue. That’s tricky, but you’ll have to rely on the visual change of the background to understand the clickable area for now.

I ditched Ideal Sans. I actually loved it, but I got way more complaints about rendering of it than I ever have and fonts were getting a bit heavy. I’m going to keep the vital Gotham Rounded and use a non-custom font for the body, which won’t be as awesome but render well and be fast.

chrisburton
    Participant

I ditched Ideal Sans. I actually loved it, but I got way more complaints about rendering of it than I ever have and fonts were getting a bit heavy. I’m going to keep the vital Gotham Rounded and use a non-custom font for the body, which won’t be as awesome but render well and be fast.

Yeah, me too. I saw some of the recent complaints but I also noticed issues with the rendering from the last design as well. I’m not sure if you received previous complaints, though. Overall, thanks for not using Helvetica.

nixnerd
    Participant

thanks for not using Helvetica.

@chrisburton
    You hate on Helvetica so hard! Ha ha ha! It’s all good though. She’s out of most price ranges anyway.

chrisburton
    Participant

You hate on Helvetica so hard! ~ @joe_temp

I would compare it to your ex coincidentally showing up everywhere that you go. Plus, it sucks on the web which I’ve pointed out before in other threads. The price isn’t really the issue.

nixnerd
    Participant

I would compare it to your ex coincidentally showing up everywhere that you go.

I know what you mean. I’m over her though. There’s more fish in the sea… like Harriet right?

The price isn’t really the issue.

It is for me. I won’t even pay for an OS or a text editor… I’ll be damned if I’m going to pay that much for a typeface. Although I know it’s a reality that I have to pay for fonts, I do it grudgingly and only when I feel one is worth a long term commitment.

chrisburton
    Participant

The price isn’t the issue regarding Helvetica is what I’m saying.

I’ll leave it here with a quote from Stephen Coles:

“Some typefaces are simply not optimal for reading at small sizes, regardless of render quality or substrate. It has to do with weight, spacing, openness of letterforms, and most importantly rhythm. Neue Helvetica is known for its strict uniformity. This makes it appealing for big, graphic stuff like headlines, posters, and logos, but does not make it a great text or UI face.”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.