Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other CSS Tables

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    danielando

What are peoples thoughts on CSS Tables? They seem easy enough to use. Is anyone using them yet?

Rob MacKay
    Participant

when you say CSS tables, what exactly do you mean? Tables styled with CSS or maybe using the display option? And what are you using the tables for? lol

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I feel turned off by the whole idea of them right now, but I’ll need to let it simmer for a while and do a lot more hands on testing. The big question to me is: why?

So you can now code with a bunch of divs and have it behave just like a table. Why not just use table tags instead? Because they are div’s that is somehow better code? It’s still source-order-dependent and requires you to re-define all the display properties of all those divs. Where is the true advantage?

As an aside, they aren’t supported in IE 7, so it’ll be many many years before they can be widely used anyway (not that that should be an argument against them).

Rob MacKay
    Participant

Oh so it is the whole turning a div into a table with CSS thing. Yea I don’t really get it either… tables already exist, divs do a fine general structure job as they are… as far as I can see its a little redundant. Maybe I’m missing something…

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    "chriscoyier" wrote:
    The big question to me is: why?

To appease those with an unyielding hatred for tables… and so they can say "I never use tables." Oh the world and their love of extremes. ;)

If I’ve got a contact form or datasheet that would easily be done in a table, I use a table. No need for tag-discrimination.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.