Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS Selector wildcard for WordPress widget

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    madsrh

Hi
    It seems that whenever I add a widget to the wordpress sidebar, it adds a number (of how many times this widget has been in the sidebar) to the ID. A bit hard to explain, but try this…

I have a calendar widget in the sidebar and it’s ID is events-list-widget-1.
    If I remove the calendar widget and then add it again, it’s now called events-list-widget-2.

Is there a way for me to select the events-list-widget regardless of the number? like events-list-widget-*

best regards and thanks for reading this far :-D
    MadsRH

SgtLegend

You can do this by using a CSS attribute selector which won’t work in IE8 and below but it’s dead simple to write up some jQuery code for IE, see the examples below.

See the below post

madsrh

SgtLegend -> Exactly what I was looking for. However I can’t get it working on my site. I think it has something to do with the ID being inside a class. This is the css for changing the background color:

.widgetcontainer#events-list-widget-4 {background: #6495b5;}
    SgtLegend

Sorry got the selector wrong, try the below.

CSS

div[id^=events-list-widget],
    .events-widget-ie {
    color: red;
    }

See the below post

madsrh

Thanks for the fast reply SgtLegend. It’s still not showing CSS changes :-(

SgtLegend

Is there a live view of your website as it’s hard to debug without looking at it.

madsrh
    SgtLegend

I searched through your site and couldn’t find the CSS but found the jQuery and an error i made with it, see the fixed jQuery code below. If you have or are using a cache like W3 cache make sure to clear it as the changes won’t appear until then.

jQuery for IE

jQuery(function($) {
    if ($.browser.msie && $.browser.version < '9.0') {
    $('div[id^=events-list-widget]').each(function() {
    $(this).addClass('events-widget-ie');
    });
    }
    });
    madsrh

Ah, I see. You couldn’t know that the code was inside another css file: http://madsrosendahl.dk/wp-content/plugins/arras-tweak/style.css

I’ve added directly into the head now, but I still don’t see the change reflected on the site.

SgtLegend

Alright i see why it’s still not working, the elements are LI tags not DIV tags so all you simply need to do is swap out the tag names.

madsrh

Awesome! It’s working now. I would never have figured that out by myself :-D

Thanks you very very much for all your help. You’ve improved my site tremendously.

best regards
    //MadsRH

SgtLegend

No problem, glad i could be of assistance.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.