Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS positioning for different screen sizes help needed!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Paulie_D

Rather than me getting forever confused reading endless chapters about how to do what I want and then having to post for help anyway, Paulie_D could you show / teach me the proper way it’s done?

Seems to me you’re looking for shortcuts.

You need to get a grasp of the fundamentals before jumping in further.

CSS-Tricks is not a tutorial site and most of us don’t, with respect, have time to hand-hold you through the learning process.

A couple of useful links

http://learnlayout.com/
    http://learn.shayhowe.com/html-css/

Otherwise, make use of Google and try “Responsive Web Design Tutorials”

TC
    Participant

Hi.

Whether a new CSS user needs help or an advanced CSS user needs help it’s the same thing which is generally why forums exist – to help others with forum topics and grow a community of similar interested people.

I appreciate and understand everyone’s busy. That’s why it’s a little confusing some people take the time to reply their comments which is nice but they aren’t solutions to the problem. I would think for the forum community’s sake supplying the answer to the problem would be much better replies.

Answers help the current poster and all future posters as it provides clear answers to the problem and makes posts much shorter in length saving everyone time. Because now they don’t have to read through pages of posts to read the answer to the problem. It makes the forum a much more helpful, efficient and cleaner experience.

Some months ago I was better with CSS but since then I’ve forgotten a lot because of the trauma in my life and because I’m new to it. I haven’t been able to study or practice it for over a month. Of course I’m looking for answers because that’s the best way for (me) to learn.

The book I’m reading contains a lot of extra blah blah blah which in my opinion is a stupid way to try to teach someone. This author seems to want to make a fat book. He spends time telling the reader how things used to be done but aren’t done that way anymore. Why? If things are no longer done that way then it’s a total waste of the reader’s time and it’s a distraction from the lesson making things harder. He also repeats things from prior chapters which is annoying and distracting. My personality is to quickly learn the correct solution to the problem; Otherwise there’s so much junk it gets confusing and I forget stuff.

Please don’t misunderstand I’m very grateful for all input and help.

An inexperienced CSS developer may waste days or even weeks trying to solve something but an experienced CSS developer could post the correct solution (helping everyone) in probably less than 5 minutes for the stuff I’m asking about.

I don’t know why you say css-tricks is not a tutorial site?
    This looks like a tutorial to me :)
    https://css-tricks.com/convert-menu-to-dropdown/

For my question of why isn’t the drop down menu font not getting any larger than a certain size it seems Safari has a bug or limitation.
    Correction: It now seems that codepen for Safari has a limitation.
    I say this because in my above post the dropdown menus are getting larger than they are in codepen. In FireFox codepen it’s also larger so it looks like it’s not my code that was wrong but codepen for Safari.
    But since I’m new I’m guessing. That’s why I’d like to hear answers from experienced CSS developers.

As far as googling for “Responsive Web Design” I have already but will do more.
    I’m probably going to buy and read a new book on RWD, I’m looking at amazon reviews.

I’m also very busy looking into alternative cancer treatments trying to save my father’s life.

Thanks for your links I’ll look into them :)

TC
    Participant

Hi Shikkediel

90% of the answers?

What? LOL :)
    I didn’t ask for people to create my entire website / gallery!

The premise of this thread was me asking how do I position my buttons correctly for small screens. That isn’t even 1% of the answers to my website project, most of which is already done. All of the php, CSS, and javascript are probably 88% complete.

Codepen or Safari seem to be broken with regards to resizing the drop down menu fonts which led to another question. A question which a newby could not easily definitively learn the answer to. I’m still wondering exactly what’s wrong. If you guys looked at my example you should of seen this. My code is correct and I change the font size in two different ways. You guys didn’t seem to even bother looking at my codepen example, instead you wrongly assumed I made no attempt to learn how to do the job correctly and I just wanted freebie answers. Not the case.

I didn’t ask for a tutorial about media queries, break points, etc. I have read about those.

In other threads people told me to give a codepen link so they can see and fix the issue.
    I provided a codepen to my attempts with this problem which an experienced user could probably fix in 5 mins and now I’m being blamed for asking for help ?

Shikkediel I don’t think I am using jQuery. I’m using Javascript :
    http://codepen.io/TC_/pen/YPWaWR

Again, you guys are trying to nail me to the cross for stuff I didn’t do.

Help me understand something :
    You guys aren’t offering the code solution to my problem because you say this isn’t that type of forum/whatever the reason.
    Why in other threads was I told to create/post a link to codepen so others can help fix the issue.

So why then should I post my codepen links to the solution for others to learn from and use?

That’s illogical.

Logic:
    If ANYONE fixes the problem and provides the codepen link EVERYONE wins now and in the future. To me that makes good sense.

Hmmm.
    :)
    Anyway I appreciate the help offered.

Paulie_D

The premise of this thread was me asking how do I position my buttons correctly for small screens.

But don’t like the answer…which is to tear it down and start all over from first principles….once you have grasped them, which, it’s clear, you haven’t…and, apparently, don’t want to.

You skip over large sections of the one book you do have because you think they’re full of blah blah blah without considering whether that blah blah blah might be important.

You consider them, with your vast experience in CSS, to be blah blah blah…how would you know?

Perhaps your don’t like the way the writer teaches…fine, get another book.

Now, perhaps the CSS-Tricks site might be considered somewhat of a ‘tutorial’ site, although, that’s more the Lodge..but this forum isn’t. It’s a ‘solve a problem’ forum.

Unfortunately, this is one instance where we can’t provide a quick fix…a fundamental rebuild is the optimal course of action.

It’s up to you to decide whether you want to heed the advice.

Paulie_D

I’m also very busy looking into alternative cancer treatments trying to save my father’s life.

You have my sympathy and I’m fully aware how difficult it can be having experienced something similar with own, late, father.

That being the case, perhaps you need to take a step back from this project…you clearly have other things to worry about.

Prioritise THAT and come back to THIS once you’ve have opportunity to reflect and consider what we’ve been saying over time.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.