Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS Noise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Hi, I’m experimenting with generating noise on elements using CSS gradients. Haven’t quite found a satisfactory solution (it may not be possible?) but here is where I am at so far:

http://jsfiddle.net/mightymeta/B2EFG/

The CSS is quite repetitive and therefore unwieldy. Am applying the cicada principle to try and emulate random placement of dots, but it tends to create noticeable waves.

Works best in WebKit. FF3.6+ kind of works too, but their implementation of gradients is not as pleasing..

Would like to pick people’s brains to see if a better solution can be found?

chrisburton
    Participant

Yep, there is a javascript version

Yes, I know, this is more a proof of concept, to see if it can be done with CSS.

chrisburton
    Participant

I like the idea of it, have you checked Lea Verou’s patterns?

Yes, that’s what gave me the idea initially, truth be told.

chrisburton
    Participant

Here is the gallery. Maybe these could help you better your idea.

Edit: wrote too soon

chrisburton
    Participant

Seems possible but the way you have gone about it makes me think it would take a lot of markup

Thanks anyway for link, a few new ones in there haven’t seen before.

Doesn’t need a lot of markup, but pretty heavy on the CSS properties, not so good for performance…

chrisburton
    Participant

I meant CSS markup. I tweeted her, waiting for a response to see if she’s tried it. I know this past week she complained about seeing noise everywhere so probably not.

Yes I saw that tweet also ha ha!

chrisburton
    Participant

This idea is killing my mind.

chrisburton
    Participant

My attempt didn’t come out so well. http://jsbin.com/ijeva5/edit

jimsilverman

i don’t think you can achieve this through pure css. since you can’t really randomize the dots, it’s always going to end up looking polka-dotty.

i’d love to be proven wrong though.

cpj238

This would be totally awesome if it could be done in CSS, but I guess for now we have to stick with body:before PNG overlay. lol

Never say never!

Using the cicada principle you can fake randomness. If you take a look at my example, it’s almost there, just needs a bit of extra something to prevent the vague patterning effect.

Any mathematicians in the house?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.