Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other CSS Lightsaber. What do you guys think?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jamygolden

I spent quite a while making it. It’s actually caused me to change the way I develop websites lol

http://css-plus.com/examples/2011/06/css-lightsabers/ (Best in Firefox4+)

chrisburton
    Participant

I’ve said this before and i’d like to say it again, I simply love it!. Especially the assemble animation.

TheDoc

Very cool, Jamy!

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

nice

isra26
    Participant

I like it! what new did you learn from doing this project?

jamygolden

Thanks guys. It’s pretty weird. People seem to comment on the animation mostly when the hardest part was actually creating the hilts! Odd shapes all over the place.

@isra26
    There were a couple of things actually.

I originally did everything with pseudo classes. My aim was to have as little elements as possible. That has just caused me to use :before and :after in projects all the time. For example: Under “Check this out!” in my sidebar there are arrows attached to each button. I don’t think they are 100% necessary, so I pretty much see it as progressive enhancement. Someone might point out they could be background images – This causes a problem if I want to use a sprite (due the padding difference on each item).

After fighting to get the pseudo elements to work in Chrome I realized I could do the shadow I wanted to with one box-shadow property. I didn’t know this before. The property was:

box-shadow: inset 0 0 5px #01fe32, 0 0 20px #08ff35, 0 0 30px #08ff35,0 0 20px #08ff35;

By adding a comma you can apply a whole new shadow to the element. I now use that quite a bit.

I also use CSS gradients whenever I have a chance! I provide a fallback image and everyone is happy. I now have the gradient syntax engrained in my head lol.

Those are the major differences.
    – Pseudo elements wherever possible (as long as it’s progressive enhancement… It works on IE8 so you’ve got most IEs covered anyway),
    – Various box-shadows on an element and
    – CSS gradients all over the place :p

mshort1985

that is pretty awesome, its amazing what people are coming up with these days now that CSS is becoming more like javascript :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.