Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] CSS Dropdown menu — for the iPad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    tannercampbell
    Participant

http://3rconcepts.com/test

Client has suddenly asked for the site to be iPad compatible … I figured no big deal, iPad has a grown up browser, if it works in Safari it works on iPad … whoops. You can’t hover on an iPad, so my drop downs aren’t showing up. Is there a quick to moderately quick fix for this? Or should I just build another header with a different menu system and throw it up on ipad.3rconcepts.com or something?

Thanks.

soap
    Participant

hovers for normal browsers. clicks for mobile devices.

TheDoc

Hmmm, not working at all?

On my iPhone if I click on a menu that has a drop down, it’ll show me the drop down and then I have to click again for my page choice.

jhl

alternatively you can use :focus

shagzdesign

They mean that Mobile Safari translates the drop down menu’s hover to work with a click. Meaning that when you are using Mobile Safari you press once on the drop down for it to open, and then again on your selection.

iancoates

Check out http://www.cssplay.co.uk. Stu has developed a lot of css only menus for mobile and ipad browsers.

rwardjr

this above link http://3rconcepts.com/test goto ERROR 404 – PAGE NOT FOUND

Darrenbrett

Could someone clarify: does this mean the drop-menu will NOT work in Safari mobile, or only that its slightly more cumbersome?

mikehas

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I have a drop down menu that displays the submenu on hover of a parent element.
    I use jquery to disable default behavior so that on click of the parent element the submenu is shown. But now I want on the second click the default behavior to be enabled again. Anyone any ideas. This is the code I use to prevent default behavior:

Cheers,
    Michael

Taufik Nurrohman
    Participant

????

I found that using opacity:0 and then opacity:1 on :hover with a CSS3 transition causes the rollover to break on iPad, so I basically just used a mobile detection script in PHP, and then updated my dropdown class to have display:none, and made sure the :hover state had display:block as well as opacity:1.

broose

Jeyjoo’s technique was a winner for me. thx

dinosaure

GREAT!!! Jeyjoo has a very good solution. It works for me. Thanks.

eteisman

Guys, here in Europe Android is currently taking between 65 top 75% of market share. These tricks dont work as easily on Android.

Why on earth would one develop for iPhone and forget Android?
    You may like iPhone betetr than Android, but if 2/3 of users is using Android, then you are not doing it right.

I checked Jeyloos solution, and on android it doesn behave very logical.
    You have to long-press the menu before the dropdown shows.

My opinion is that one should try and avoid submenu’s on pages if possible.
    For existing ages you can try Jeyloos technique, but its still not perfect.
    Maybe there isa better trick for Android as well?

varios
    Participant

BIG UP Jeyjoo!!!!!! Thnks a lot!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.