Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS CSS and Adjustable blocks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    djpic
    Participant

I need to set up a group of anchors as blocks. The problem is the anchor’s text / value is going to be variable. The question is if I have a row of anchor’s with different heights how can I make all of those the same height based on the anchor of the series that has the greatest height? The anchors will have the same width.

Example:

djpic
    Participant

Thanks. I will have to try that. I was wondering how to use the table display. That will help. I am actually working on a calendar using nothing but CSS (of course) which is why the question came up. I will be posting that later for review. It is actually looking pretty good so far I must say. Easier than I thought.

thomas

Just curious, but why aren’t you using a table to create the calendar? I’m not trying to start a semantics debate; it’s just that a table as a starting point would seem to be much easier.

djpic
    Participant

@thomas – Because with using css, I can layout the days any way I choose. If I want to lay them out as a “calendar” type, a list, or another type of layout I wish just by switching the CSS file. Plus there is going to be much more involved once I start entering the dynamic data (using it in a php class).

I do have another question. I want to do something like this but it doesn’t seem to work:

.style-class .sub-class1,.sub-class2,.sub-class3 a { text-decoration: none }

Of course there is more to the style then just a text-decoration, but you get the idea. Basically taking multiple classes and applying the same ‘default’ style to all anchors in those classes (or ids). Like I said, I tried this but didn’t work at all.

thomas

Did you mean:

.style-class .sub-class1 a, .sub-class2 a, .sub-class3 a { text-decoration: none }

In your post, “text-decoration” was misspelled and you didn’t have the anchors after each class.

thomas

You beat me to it wolfcry911 :)

djpic
    Participant

@wolfcry911 – After I posted it, I noticed I was missing the ‘.’ but fixed it. That was just a typo. So I would need to have define each one with the full style? I am defining others like:

.style-class .sub-class1,sub-class2,sub-class3 { /*Styling Here */ }

And it works. Just thought by doing something like:

.style-class (.sub-class1,.sub-class2,.sub-class3) a { /*Styling Here*/ }

Without having to rewrite the ‘.style-class’ and ‘a’ over and over again. But if I have to, then I have to.

djpic
    Participant

@thomas – That saves me from having to write the .style-class over and over again, but what about the ‘a’ or is that just impossible?

thomas

I’m pretty sure you’ll have to include the ‘a’ in each rule. I’m not aware of any shorthands similar to what you’re looking for.

EDIT: also, whether you have to include the “.style-class” in each rule depends on specificity and if you use your .sub-class[n] outside of .style-class.

djpic
    Participant

@thomas – I only want the .sub-class[n] available within the .style-class. If .sub-class[n] is located on another element outside the .style-class then, I don’t want that .style-class .sub-class[n] to apply. So I take it I need to include the .style-class as well?

thomas

Here’s an old article on CSS specificity they may help:
    http://www.stuffandnonsense.co.uk/archives/css_specificity_wars.html

thomas

Yes, in that case, you need to write it out fully as wolfcry911 mentioned earlier:

.style-class .sub-class1 a,
    .style-class .sub-class2 a,
    .style-class .sub-class3 a {
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    djpic
    Participant

@thomas – Oh ok…No big deal. Just thought they would have thought of another way. Does that hold true for the ones I have already done:

.style-class .sub-class1,.sub-class2,.sub-class3 { /*Styling Here */
    djpic
    Participant

Yes it does hold true for those. I just made all the corrections to use what is should be. Thanks.

djpic
    Participant

FYI….I just posted the discussion on the calendar.

Calendar Discussion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.