Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Cross-Browser Problems Once Again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    miker1961
    Participant

I also seem to run into these problems at the 11th hour. In any case, I have attached three screen shots and as you will notice, the header image is not aligning correctly with my page background in both IE7 and 6, along with Firefox on the PC. The screen shot that is correct is from Firefox 3.0 on my MAC. Since I develop on the MAC it is a bit frustrating when I go to test on the PC and come up with these issues. I know it’s not a new problem for anyone, but nonetheless frustrating.

Here is a link to the testing site:

http://www.corvairflair.com/np-consulting

Hopefully someone has an idea of what I may be doing incorrectly here. I’m sure it is a simple oversight on my part, but I can’t seem to locate the issue.

Please defer to the attached screen shots.

[attachment=2]Firefox_MAC.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]ie7.png[/attachment]

[attachment=0]firefox3_PC.png[/attachment]

Thanks You,
    Mike

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hi Miker,

It looks like the problem is arising from your navigation bar varying in height depending on the browser.

This is what I try to do in cases like these:

Set all the different top and bottom paddings and margins to 0.
    Assign a height to the .top-navigation.
    That should make all of your browsers looking the same (even if they are all wrong, at least they are the same). Then you can add one margin or padding (or increase the .top-navigation height) to bring down the image until it lines up.

It will require a little bit of guess and checking to be perfect, but let me know how it goes,
    Ashton Sanders

Edit:

I would do 70px height:

Code:
    .top-navigation {
    margin: 0 auto;
    height: 70px;
    }
    miker1961
    Participant

Hey Ashton that worked! I was able to set everything from a top and bottom margin and padding perspective to zero and then work my way backwards. I am still having a bit of an issue with IE 6.0 on the image hover. When a user rolls over the image the spacing gets all out of whack under the top navigation. I think this is probably an easy fix once I dig a bit deeper.

I really appreciate the help on this.

Thanks Again,
    Mike

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Great.

It sounds like you have an incorrect setting in a :hover somewhere. Your testing site changed, so I can’t check it.

miker1961
    Participant

Ashton,

Sorry about that. My hosting services were down for a couple of days. The site is back up now and I’ve got everything working just fine now but I can’t figure out the hovering issue with IE6. Could you take a look again to see if you know what it may be?

http://www.corvairflair.com/np-consulting

Thanks for all of your help,
    Mike

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Hmmm…

I haven’t found the source of the Hover problem in IE6, but here are some notes that may help in general:

You have this in your css file:

Code:
    .left-navigation-container ul li a:hover, a:active {text-decoration: none;}

this is the same as:

Code:
    .left-navigation-container ul li a:hover {text-decoration: none; }

a:active { text-decoration: none; }

You probably meant to do it like this:

Code:
    .left-navigation-container ul li a:hover, .left-navigation-container ul li a:active {text-decoration: none;}

Secondly, you have all this code:

Code:
    .top-navigation ul li.home a:hover { background-position: 0 -50px;}
    .top-navigation ul li.therapeutic-services a:hover { background-position: 0px -50px;}
    .top-navigation ul li.program-development a:hover { background-position: 0px -50px;}
    .top-navigation ul li.training-and-supervision a:hover { background-position: 0px -50px;}

which in this case is exactly the same as:

Code:
    .top-navigation a:hover { background-position: 0 -50px;}

Keeping the code simplified can sometimes help with these kinds of problems. I’ll look at it again in a bit

miker1961
    Participant

Thanks Ashton. I have been combing through the code as well. Thanks for the tips on simplifying some of the code. I will definitely do this in hopes of making it easier to troubleshoot along with more efficiency. I’ll keep checking back to see if you find anything.

Thanks,
    Mike

miker1961
    Participant

Ashton,

I tried simplifying the css a bit based on your suggestions in the second example you supplied, however the hover now doesn’t seem to be working in terms of the image changing its background-position. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
    Mike

miker1961
    Participant

Never mind. Stupid me, it was something simple that I missed. But on a separate note, I still haven’t been able to resolve the IE 6 issue. Any luck with this?

Thanks
    Mike

apostrophe
    Participant

I don’t have access to ie6 at the moment (actually it’s Friday afternoon and I can’t be bothered to boot up the pc ;) ) but I can offer a bit of educated guesswork if you’re game.

I know that ie6 does have some issues with negative margins and you have a negative top margin on the np-consulting-header div. Thing is, you really don’t need that margin at all. Try removing that and reducing the bottom padding on the top-navigation div by 2 pixels instead.

It should look like this:

Code:
    .top-navigation {
    height:53px;
    padding:20px 41px 18px;
    }

.np-consulting-header {
    background:transparent url(../images/home/np-consulting-header.jpg) no-repeat scroll 0 0;
    height:222px;
    margin:0;
    }

miker1961
    Participant

Thanks for trying but this still didn’t do the trick. So I’m still game for anyone who has suggestions. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
    Mike

apostrophe
    Participant

Could you be more specific? What exactly is the problem?

miker1961
    Participant

When you hover over the top navigation (one of the buttons) I am changing the image with a background-position class. This is working fine on all browsers except IE 6. On IE 6 when you hover over the button, while the image changes fine, the entire <div> for the top navigation pushes the header image down about 20px. Since I need this header to align with my image background it looks all out of whack. See the screen shot below.

[attachment=0]IE6.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks,
    Mike

apostrophe
    Participant

Well I can’t see anything that would obviously cause it. So the only thing I can suggest is a slightly different approach to achieve the same effect. You could be a little more specific in the css and a bit more general with your bg positions.

Code:
    .top-navigation {
    height: 53px;
    padding: 19px 43px;
    }

.top-navigation ul li {
    float: left;
    text-align: center;
    padding: 0 4px 0 0;
    display: inline;
    }

.top-navigation ul li a {
    background-position: center top;
    height: 50px;
    text-indent: -9999px;
    display: block;
    }

.top-navigation ul li.home a {
    background: url(../images/navigation/home.png) no-repeat;
    width: 153px;
    }

.top-navigation ul li.therapeutic-services a {
    background: url(../images/navigation/therapeutic-services.png) no-repeat;
    width: 263px;
    }

.top-navigation ul li.program-development a {
    background: url(../images/navigation/program-development.png) no-repeat;
    }

.top-navigation ul li.training-and-supervision a {
    background: url(../images/navigation/training-and-supervision.png) no-repeat;
    }

.top-navigation ul li a:hover, .top-navigation ul li a#active {
    background-position: center bottom;
    }

It certainly won’t break anything and it may just help.

miker1961
    Participant

This definitely helps clean the css up a bit but I’m sorry to say I am still running into the same issue. It’s almost as if the hover state has some sort of padding or margin associated with it that keeps pushing whatever is above it down. Very frustrating :evil: . So if you can thin of anything else let me know. Thanks again for trying.

Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.