Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

cross browser compatibility

• # November 29, 2009 at 4:22 am

how do you test your sites? I have been using I.E tester for earlier versions of I.E, but on my latest site, It is giving me mixed results that don’t match the full versions of I.E that I am running. So I am thinking that I can not trust it. So what do you recommend for testing purposes?

Rob
    # November 29, 2009 at 4:24 am

I use IE 8 and its IE 7 compatibility. For IE6 I just add the IE8.js and make sure any PNG that are transparent are named correctly, and leave it at that. :)

# November 29, 2009 at 12:43 pm

do you have a link for this

Rob
    # November 29, 2009 at 1:20 pm

http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/

:) I think there is enough info to explain itself there :)

# November 29, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I’ve got an old version of DW that gets a very annoying bug when you upgrade to IE8,so I’m keeping with my multiple IEs to check in IE7 and IE6. I have IE8 on another computer that I will check sites in.

I also have Chrome, Opera and Safari also installed on this PC.

# November 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I have firefox, opera, chrome, safari, and I.E tester on my machine. The I.E tester was giving me some weird results that didn’t match the standalone I.E 8 that I am running. So I thought there has got to be a better way. I can not believe that in 2009 we still have to do this crap. when are they going to make 1 standard?

# November 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm
    "cybershot" wrote:
    when are they going to make 1 standard?

I think there already is a standard. The question is when will "everyone" follow it.

Rob
    # November 30, 2009 at 5:11 am

Ashton is right, there is one standard for everyone to follow – W3 sorted that out. BUT – The issue isnt really that, IE6 was made before the w3 set a standard, the problem with IE6 isn’t the guys who coded it, but the fact that MS did not auto update the browser when IE7 came out. People are just using IE6 oblivious to the fact that there are 1)newer versions and 2)Other browsers.

When people see the browser they just think its the internet, not some software that renders the code for them.

look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4MwTvtyrUQ

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".