Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Critique on new website.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Attila Hajzer
    Participant

Im still working on new site and would like some opinions on it. I know that i need to fix footer. header(logo) as well as sidebar stuff.

http://hajzer.info

Positive criticism please.

maxisix
    Participant

thats not bad ! You can take a look for an other typo on http://www.google.com/webfonts . You can remove the right border of contact and i’m not that sure that the gray block for affiliates and twitter really match with the rest of your website ! great job ! have fun !

Anonymous
    Inactive

Looks like a legit website. Although the negative feedback are the ones that help you the most even if they make you feel bad. Hey here is a heads up, I’m pretty sure that background is owned by apple, i would consider changing it. It looks like a pretty good website if you ask me. Would you mind giving some feedback for my website? it’s still under development. –>[My Website](http://codepen.io/Jarolin/full/bwLJs “website”)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@attilahajzer Don’t worry about people bringing you down and insulting your work on this website. Most of the people on this forum are developers themselves and know what it feels like to have some jerk insult their work. If your looking for feedback on anything we will tell you straight up, but we wont insult you. And thanks for the feedback. The colors actually have perfect sink, But since some are brighter than others it looks like one is a bit ahead.

Caleb

Just a few quick thoughts.
    I would put the time in to make the site responsive.
    The gray blocks on the right side don’t look that good. You may want to tweak them a bit.
    I would add hover states to the buttons at the top middle.
    The repeating image in the background needs to go!

Caleb

No problem!

David_Leitch
    Participant

Not looking too bad at all :) A couple of points to consider though:

In my browser, there’s a lot of lag (if that’s the right term here). As in, it takes a noticeable amount of time to scroll and a very long time to finish loading. I think it might have something to do with the background image, so you may want to have a look at ways to make your site lighter

You might also want to have all of the text align on the same vertical line to the left. At the moment, the banner, content title and content are all on different vertical lines. I believe the site would look cleaner if they were aligned :)

Overall, it’s looking really good

PLNR

@attilahajzer ,

It takes guts to expose oneself to open criticism. Please do not mitigate that step you courageously took by instructing us on how to critique. Negative mindless bashing is self-evident. You will know when such a post hits you.

On the site itself, the #1 issue I spot, one which immediately prevents me from digging much further, is the violation of the proverbial rule “Show, don’t tell”, a violation that is often associated with amateurish fervour.

Example:

“Considering A Change?

You’ve come to the right place!

Take a tour of our newly redesigned
    website we guarantee you’ll love
    it just as much as we do!

This is just poor copy, I’m afraid. Don’t tell me I’m going to like a site I’m currently browsing. I am perfectly capable of deciding whether I like it or not and the assertion is but conveying insecurity. You repeat the same mistake when you state

Using HTML5 and valid CSS3 for your next website, you can be sure that choosing me is the right choice for your company when it comes to website design.

Bottom line: if your website is both functional and polished, looks professional and beautiful, up to date and mobile-friendly, that in itself will speak volumes, in so much as dispensing you from making the above nervous claims.

Show customers how good a web designer you are. Don’t tell them.

Keep up the good efforts and best of luck!

chrisburton
    Participant

> “Don’t show them what you can do, but show them what you’ve done”

Do you mean “Don’t tell them what you can do, show them”?

danielhughes

I like your menu and the subtle hover overs that it incorporates.

What I first noticed was that I watched the background load as it progressively opened down my screen but I know this was already mentioned. I think for me making it responsive would be a good idea.

Great job.

Woodworking

Hey Attila,
    Is that your real name?
    The first thing I noticed is that the website opens with a grey background and after 2-4 seconds the image loads up. That should be fixed.

I started my website building career as an SEO person who realized that a website with perfect on-page SEO is a lot easier to rank.

So, I briefly checked out the source code for your site. The first thing I noticed was:

(re)design niagara | Home

LauraMoraiti

Hi,

The background is extremely heavy. I think you should consider something tileable, which you will find for free at subtlepatterns.com

Also, you might want to think carefuly about you font choice because right now it doesn’t look professional. One font for headings, other for the body copy (since you want to use more than one).

You should’t offer a way out of your site immediately, you are sending traffic to WordPress above the fold.

Add a bit less image in the background and a lot more in the site, you should swap those tiny pics for much more appealing ones.

Hope you find it helpful :)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.