Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Correct markup of user profile

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TT_Mark

How would you go about marking up a user profile for a sports team? I’m working on tweaking a website for a rugby team and they have quite a lot of details on their squad page

e.g.
    Height: 1.95m
    Weight: 95Kg
    etc
    etc
    etc

It was initially marked up in paragraphs, with a label tag, however I don’t feel this is syntactically correct.

Would it be better as a ul, or is there another, even better way to mark this up?

AntonNiklasson
    Participant

is probably what i would use.

Then if you want the “Height:” to be bold or something, just put them in spans and style it from there!

TheDoc

What about a definition list?

Height

1.95m

Weight

95kg

Then, since each label/description is already wrapped in different tags, you’ll be able to style it more effectively.

stevendeeds

well, build a spreadsheet, or a table, using divs.

stevendeeds

Here’s an example of something similar I did..
      http://burrissports.com/joeystats

I used tables, but you should build your spreadsheet using css.

TheDoc

There’s sort of a debate on how it’s really supposed to be used (at least that’s what I’ve been led to believe).

Some people seem to also use it as Label:Value(s).

TheDoc

From W3 spec:
      “Another application of DL, for example, is for marking up dialogues, with each DT naming a speaker, and each DD containing his or her words.”
      Linky link

wolfcry911
      Participant

This is most definitely the correct use of a table

jacorre
      Participant

You could make an argument that the information is tabular and you could use tables. I think a definition list in this instance might be easier to use than an unordered list. It wouldn’t need the additional span tags since you can style the dt tags.

TheDoc

While I agree that you could most certainly use a table in this situation, I’d prefer the flexbility of the dl.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.