Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Corporate Website Critique

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    goalieman34

Hello everyone,
    I am just looking to get some feedback on a corporate website that I am building. So far I just have been working on the home page so there is a lot not done yet. Here is the link below

http://www.petrowest.squarespace.com

* Any ideas to make the sidebar look better on the right hand side. I still have to somehow get the stock ticker to work but I feel like it can be improved.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out,
    Chris

JoshWhite

I think you can probably solve your sidebar issue by just giving the text some style. Maybe instead of standard bulleted list items, you give the items a slight background color with a nice hover state, or perhaps add a basic date box to give it some character. It just feels bland because it’s all the same text, same size, same color, etc.

I feel like the background needs something… even if it was a really faint gradient that could help it feel more vibrant.

goalieman34

@karlpcrowley thanks for the feedback. Ill fix those 3 things right away.
    I am trying to get rid of that last border on the right in the top nav but the darn thing wont go away. Here is the code I am useing

#topNav a:last-child { border-right:none !important; }

@goalieman34 That’s because the anchor isn’t the last element in that div. Instead, use border-left and :first-child (it has better browser support anyway).

goalieman34

@JoshWhite thanks for the great ideas! Ill add a faint gradient for the background. Do you have an example of what you recommended for the sidebar? Sounds really great but I just need a visual or something to help me out.

goalieman34

@joshuanhibbert ok so I changed it to border left and first-child. Sorry how do I change things so that the anchor is the last element in the div.

goalieman34

Thanks for all the feedback so far

http://petrowest.squarespace.com/

Johnnyb

Hey goalieman,

Maybe give some of the text and images room to breathe by adding some padding. Maybe try a different font for the headers too, Arial just seems a bit too bland. Other than that it seems OK, it’s a very “safe” design, but maybe that’s what they’re looking for.

goalieman34

@Johnnyb ok sounds good I will fix up the headers and add a bit more padding. Thanks

Does anyone think it would make things look a bit better if I rounded all the corners in the Nav Bar, Slider and Page Content?

JoshWhite

Well, you could use CSS Tricks as an example for the sidebar. See how the sidebar is broken up into very distinguishable sections? The headers are clearly defined in a highlight color and the items under them feel like sub items but still have some character (background colors, etc).

goalieman34

ok I have started to work on the sidebar some. Hopefully you guys think it is starting to look better.
    http://petrowest.squarespace.com/

JoshWhite

Yeah dude, way better imo – I think that gradient added some needed depth too.

goalieman34

@JoshWhite awesome, I am glad it is an improvement so far!

@goalieman34 I’m not quite sure that I understand what you are asking. The anchor has to be the last element in its parent for last-child to work, and at the moment the search widget is the last element.

goalieman34

@joshuanhibbert sorry about that. I still cant get rid the last right hand border in the #topNav. Is there anyway you can show me what to do. Sorry I am still learning….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.