Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Copy and Paste

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    CodeGraphics
    Participant

Presently, I am learning web development. In fact I left my country to learn web development in a web training school in a far away Asian country of India. Currently, we hav finished html/css. We should begin js, then to php. But i just discovered that the school will not teach us js. They said we dont need to learn js. That they will give us links of where to get jquery effects codes and just copy and paste inside our own work and edit.

But I wanted a situation whereby i will learn js in and out and then use jquery to make some things easier for me and not reinvent the wheel in some cases.

Presently, I am taking a video online course in js with tutsplus.com, Jeffrey Way is actually a good tutor.

Pls what is your take on this?
    Should i resort to copying and pasting or should i patiently learn js?
    Again, the guy teaching us html/css just told us that we don’t need to code a drop down menu, or tab or accordion. He instead showed us dreamweaver spry and said we should be using it to create these things in 5 seconds.

I really will like to be able to code some things by myself and even when i use framework, i will know what is going on in the hood. Again, i want to open a web development school in my country when i go back and also be a senior tutor in the school.

What can you tell me?
    What is your advice to me?

Paulie_D

>Again, the guy teaching us html/css just told us that we don’t need to code a drop down menu, or tab or accordion. He instead showed us dreamweaver spry and said we should be using it to create these things in 5 seconds.

This guy is an idiot then.

If you don’t know how to build a dropdown menu how will you be able to fix it if it goes wrong?

If you don’t know what Spry is doing to your code then how will you adjust it/ or fix it?

I’m not sure DW even uses Spry any more…they might but I was under the impression that they were moving to jQuery more and more.

I see nothing wrong with C&P **as long as you know what the code is doing**. I’ve started adding more and more comments to my Codepen example just for this purposes.

I’m no JS/JQ expert…not even close…but I comment the bits I paste so I can see where I am at all times.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Patiently learn JS, you don’t want to be that teacher in your own country that’s telling his students to just copy&paste… that’s not teaching imho.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If your paying for your education you need to demand to be tough JS.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

School is school ya know.. I basically paid $40k for two years to teach myself everything i know. I had a similar situation with php (hence why i don’t really know it well) but if you are going to DEVELOP THE WEB, then you should have a good understanding about Javascript. Awesome that you are taking additional classes to better yourself, same thing i did, but let me tell you, it can get tough when you are being taught 3 different languages at once.

As paulie D mentioned though, comment the crap outta your code, hence when you go back to it in a month you know EXACTLY why you did what you did. Plus it is easier to modify certain parts of your code for performance.

rpotterjr
    Participant

Unfortunately, this is the way that many colleges operate. I did my research for 2 years before attending college, because I wanted to make sure that I was going to get the best out of my education and The International Academy of Design & Technology was the best Undergrad School there was at the time. I’m not sure where they rank now, but I am sure they rank very highly still, today. At the time they only ranked second to Rhode Island School of Design, which is a Graduate School. I earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts, Multimedia Production & Design.

At my school, we were never taught to ‘copy and paste’, however much of what we learned outside HTML and CSS was self taught. We were given the resources to learn, but not actually taught in class any JavaScript, jQuery, etc, nor were we ever taught in class any server side languages such as ASP, .NET, PHP, JAVA, etc… What we were taught is more along the lines of understanding, in depth, the “Programming Logic” behind each coding language. How programming flows worked, the limitations of each language, the abilities and differences between each. It was left up to ‘The Student’ to do the actual work.

We were to choose the language(s) that we wanted to focus on and roll with it so to speak. Each class was four hours long, so the first two hours of each class we would be taught the logic side of things and the other two hours was available to us to work on our own programming. If we ever needed help however, the Instructor would always assist any of us with our work in and out of class.

I did take a database class focused on MySQL, which did have a bit of PHP involved, but mostly the development of databases.

I point this all out to say… I began college in 2003 and graduated in 2006, attending school all year round for 3 years. I honestly was never taught much of anything other than HTML, CSS, MySQL and a bit of PHP in class. However, Had it not been for the education I received I wouldn’t know any server-side languages at all. This is simply because before attending college, when I would look at PHP, JAVA, ASP,.NET, or ROR I was completely lost, because all I saw was gibberish. My schooling helped me a lot in seeing these much differently by understanding a vast amount about ‘programming logic’.

During my schooling and afterwards I chose to focus on and taught myself PHP. So, since 2004 I have been working in PHP (about 8 years). I have learned alot. However, I still run into issues every once in a while. Mostly because of attempting to conform to new web standards. One of my most recent issues was “Clean Urls”, which is accomplished by .htaccess. Sadly I haven’t worked alot with .htaccess, so this was a weakness for me, but through the help of others I continue to learn and self-educate.

As for JavaScript, this is something that I found very easy to learn once I understood programming logic. However, in today’s industry I would not advise anyone to spend the time learning it, rather place your focus on learning jQuery. Yes, there are other JS Libraries such as MooTools, Prototype, etc, but jQuery is the most widely used and is becoming a standard in the sense of demand. I also advise doing some self-educating on Programming Logic. It is really helpful to understand the flow and functionality of programming when learning to program.

One thing I will stress above all else is that if you are going to use jQuery, learn jQuery! Don’t just copy and paste!! You have to be able to troubleshoot problems. As with any other language, you will find yourself from time to time with a problem that for whatever reason you may need an outside knowledgeable person to help you with. That is ok! Alot of times in doing so you will realize through the person helping you that what was stumping you could have been fixed on your own, but you simply missed something that was starring you straight in the face. lol

rpotterjr
    Participant

Paulie_D, yes Adobe is still using the stupid Spry, otherwise known as the half-mentally declined Ajax cousin. The first time I saw ‘Spry’ I nearly fell out of my chair, in awe of such stupidity. They should have focused on Ajax and JS/JQ. But just like the HDDVD, boom goes the dynamite! lol

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.