Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Convert existing site to WP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MikeC

First of all I hope this is the right forum!

Here’s the story anyway:

I have been asked to make a property site ‘easy to update’. The site has about 30 pages, with around 20 property listings that are also html files. Not in any database or anything just plain HTML for everything.

The customer wants an admin areathat he can log in to, within a few clicks change some text or upload a picture, the website resize the picture and make it fit nicely, and he can then save and log out. I immediately thought "WORDPRESS!" but then I realised that this is going to be a big job.

Creating a theme in wordpress to look exactly like his existing site isn’t a problem, but taking all of the content and adding it to wordpress and then making sure it is styled in the original way will take a lot of time.

Does anyone know of a quick easy way to convert a whole website to wordpress? Or is it going to be literally copy and pasting each page and editing it to look right?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Mike

TeMc

Before I continue. WordPress does use a database actually, but that aside.
    As soon as you’re up and running in Settings > Permalinks you can for example set the structure to:

Code:
    /%category%/%postname%.html
    becomes :
    /pagename.html
    and
    /news/hello-world.html

.. to make it look like html-files.

To go in on converting it… Yes, if the current site is pure static html, then you’re gonna have to copy and paste.
    But that shouldn’t take too long.

If you wanna copy and paste the html directly, make sure in "Users > Your profile" you’ve ticked/checked to disable the visual editor. Then you’ll be able to past the raw html directly.

PS: I don’t know how advanced you are, but remember not to copy and paste anything from above <body> or from below </body> into the WordPress page editor.

MikeC

Thank you for replying!

I know that WordPress uses a database, I was describing his current site, which has the properties listed as plain HTML files.

Unfortunately your answer is what I was expecting meaning that I have a lot of copying and pasting. I will create a header, menu and footer. And then insert all of his content as pages.

A while ago Chris(or maybe Jeff) posted something in DWP about CMSing a WP installation, there was a particular addon that removed all references to posts and things. I have had a look and can’t find the name of that addon, anyone have any idea about that?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.