Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Controlling Navigation with PHP Depending on User?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rjuhghes

I am trying to figure out the best solution to this problem – but not being hot on PHP, i could do with a bit of help.

I’m building a site for WordPress.

the site will have a number of different users who will have different levels of access to read pages. So ‘User Group 1’ might have access to view page 1, 2, 3 and 4. ‘User Group 2’ might have access to page 1, 4, 5 and 6.

What i am trying to figure out is – once ‘user group 1’ logs in and gets redirected to the index page i want to control which tabs are displayed in the nav bar.

– if user group 1 – display tabs 1, 2, 3 and 4
    – if user group 2 – display tabs 1, 4, 5, 6

(however, there may be a large number of different user groups / access levels.)

and so on.

Is this achieved with ‘switch’ ?
    could someone point me in the right direction please.

many many thanks for your help.

cybershot
    Participant

can you make the many different navs and then put them in different files and include them? something like

if($group == 1)
    {
    include(‘nav1.php’);
    }
    else
    {
    include(‘reg_nav.php’);
    }

Maybe store your groups in an array and make the nav available to the groups in that array?

rjuhghes

many thanks – i will have a look at this solution. is this the most logic solution?

Yeah that solution seems to be very logical. You might want to consider storing the variable in a PHP session, so that you can reuse it. The best way would be to have the logical expression (the if statement) on the login page, and then a variable is set that contains the path of the navigation, so…

Code:
    if($usergroup == 1)
    {
    $_SESSION[‘nav-path’] = “nav/nav1.php”;
    }
    else
    {
    $_SESSION[‘nav-path’] = “nav/nav2.php”;
    }

And then when your user visits a page…

Code:

This solution will make it more manageable in the long run. Hope this helps.

-Tom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.