Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Constructive criticism/help needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    poni02

Alright. This design was a request from a customer, I managed to implement some of my own ideas into the site. Please let me know what you think and give ideas on how to make it better:
    http://www.chicagolimous.com
    Also, if anyone knows how I can implement smooth scroll into an auto overflow div, and keep the main page scrolling as it is now, but also scroll every div according to the alphabet. I will add the alphabet links below the information in each div, the user should be able to click on the first letter of the town and the inside of the div will scroll to the first town that begins with the letter they choose. What is happening now is that the page jumps to the very bottom when I attempt the above, so I removed the alphabet links completely. Any ideas are welcome. Link below:
    http://www.chicagolimous.com/rates.html

Chris, your screencasts are helping greatly, awesome job, thank you and keep up the great work. You are awesome, man.

friendofpugs

Sorry about the shotgun blast of criticism, but here goes: Simplify your fonts. Take those flags outta there. Bottle of bubbly and fire pic does absolutely nothing for you – you have a fireplace in the limo? $ave – seriously? Ease off on the gradients. Footer text is lost in the striped background. And that "click to print" ad simply looks terrible.

IMO, what’s missing is focus – what makes this limo service any better/different/unique than any other? The answer to that is what you have highlight. As it is now, it’s a mishmash of tired design conventions. Granted, your forms work and the rate info is there, but I think it needs some work to get to the next level. Keep at it!

Cheers!

poni02

Thanks for your input and honesty. Do note that I also have a customer to accommodate, the photos and part of the design are there by his request whether I like it or not. As far as everything else, I will definitely listen to your advice, please re-check the site in a few days, let me know if it is any better.
    Thanks.

dcp3450
    Participant

Looking good. I’m not a fan of the striped background. Maybe tone it down a bit. Doing so would offer good contrast as well.

From a usability stand point, when i clicked the links i thought they all went to the same place till I looked harder. Since very little changes on each page they all look the same. A user doing a quick browse may not notice the change and assume the site isn’t finished. I may just be being picky about that though.

Also, you have a contact form on each page plus a contact page. I would just have the contact page, since that’s a standard anyhow, and move your right column up.

Other than some formating of the text such as alignment and color. It looks good.

dcp3450
    Participant

try doing a subtle leather texture for the background? would also match the limo concept …. leather seats and all. It would be less stark and allow the centered content area to stand out better.

poni02

Hey thanks for the response, the striped background bothers me a little too, so I will definitely try to figure something out. Thanks.

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Super quick critique:
    I don’t think you should have text on top of your limo (in the header). It is being cover too much.

joakin

Agree with AshtonSanders. And also erase the blevel&emboss, it makes a really weird effect.

The rest its ok in my opinion. Only try not to optimize that much the menu sprite (http://www.chicagolimous.com/images/navbar-sprite.jpg), it looks pixelated, at least for me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.