Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Constructive Criticism please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kandi
    Participant

I’m a baby in this web world, but have managed to learn enough html and css to get my first site up.

http://pierrebuilders.com/index.html/

I know it needs a lot of help, so any criticism would be very much appreciated. Muchas gracias!

Melindrea
    Participant

It looks nice, but a couple of comments on the code:

• The image isn’t responsive. Add a max-width: 100% to make it more soe
    • a img { border: 0} to not have a visible border on the image
    • You should remove the tables and find ways to place them. Tables should only be used when they’re the semantically correct thing, not for design
    • You can (and should) remove quite a few of the <br>-elements. Use padding/margin in the CSS to add whitespace instead.
    • Attribute align is deprecated. Use CSS instead
    Kandi
    Participant

Thanks so much for your feedback Melindrea. VERY helpful!

nuan
    Participant

Keep in mind that your “call to action” should draw the attention of the viewer. So for that reason I think using the general background for the phone number isn’t perfect. That’s where you want the viewer’s eyes to go, so a brighter, clean color os usually best. Also there is a link in that picture (questions) and there shouldn’t be (it sent me to skype). You might also want to position it in another place.

The links up top seem a bit small, they are a little lost up there in the big dark space. Maybe they should be pushed together a bit? Same for the icons on the right side, they might look better if they were lined up closer to each other.

Finally, the slideshow has a bit of a trouble, its making all the pictures show multiple times.

Its a good start! Keep going!

Kandi
    Participant

You’re right Nuan. I was unsure how to present the call to action exactly.
    I appreciate your suggestions and will put them to use! Muchas Gracias!

Kandi
    Participant

Nuan,

A few questions…

You said the call to action shouldn’t be a link? My main goal is for the the viewers to call or contact Pierre Builders. If they call they would see the number and dial, and maybe use skype to call so I thought it would be convenient to put as link. Should it just not be a link at all, or maybe be linked to the contact page instead?

Also, I resized the pics for gallery but this random pop up caption saying “slider purchase reminder” shows sometimes. Do you see that? and if so how do you suggest I take it out. I did ctrl+f to see if I could find those words in the css or html and can’t find them anywhere. I did download a free version of the slider, so I know I’m not illegally using it. Maybe i’ll just use a different slider all together, but thought i’d at least see if I could remove the pop up some how first.

Thanks so much for your help.

ROODAY
    Participant

I just noticed something, if the browser is half sized it goes to the mobile version. I’m not sure whether this would affect people with smaller screens, but I’d suggest using something like this or jqbrowser or detect the user agent to make sure exactly that the user is in mobile. Other than that, nice site!

nuan
    Participant

Hi Kandi:

I am just someone who knows how to hack a little html and css to get what style I need, so take my words with a grain of salt.

For the java, that’s getting into deep stuff. I remember I was able to find one setting in the code once, but its all just unreadable code to me. I didn’t see the notice, but if it really is in there, I doubt anyone is going to find it. There are lots of snippets of code out there to try out.

So, for that reason, what I have done is find something that works and then basically work with that, don’t try to change it at all if possible.

But right now, I noticed you have got the java working pretty well, most pics are full-sized now. I think it depends on the size of the image in pixels, if its smaller it doubles the image. I am not getting the thumbnail image in the lower buttons, but that’s a minor point ;-)

For html and css, its easier to read and understand, and you can do more. I think you are using html a lot and css less, but the trend is definitely towards css for styling. You seem to be a little html dependant now, if you don’t mind me saying. But you clearly have the right attitude. I was in your shoes just a few years ago, it takes time but you will make it.

For the css, it allows you to keep your html more simple, and its very powerful. If we make the header into a clear size with html, it isn’t convenient if we want to change the header picture later and the new picture is thinner, for example. But, we could make that area with css (using something like min-height for example) and then changing pictures would cause no problem. This is also a factor when re-sizing, which it turns out yours already does, that’s pretty cool.

With css, we can do lots of cool stuff like a window which is always at the bottom or top of your monitor, and it won’t move at all when you scroll up or down, and really a bunch of other stuff.

Usually the call to action is a link, and for you, you already put that in the middle bottom, that’s just as it should be. The phone number is important too, but there isn’t a link you can put to that really. The link you have there is to skype, like if I wanted to download it and use it. That’s pretty roundabout. And I see the number in there, its in the alternate text, which each picture is supposed to have. But that’s for people who can’t see the image, and most people will not see that there, because you have to hover and wait for a second.

So I guess the call to action is fine, its a little down the page but not too bad, and you centered it and gave it a bright color to attract attention (but its a little too white, which won’t really attract the eye…everyone uses that bright green right now, I am experimenting with a deep orange). Still, its good.

So i guess the biggest area is the navigation bar with the facebook etc. links. For this part, I think you are using a ridged html structure here, and that’s why it isn’t so beautiful…its odd to have the bigger phone number picture basically in line with the smaller facebook picture…and the bar seems a bit thick given the small text links and pics inside it. They are swallowed by the blue heh.

nuan
    Participant

Wow i see you are hard at work now, the bottom text is now scrolling, so you got that java going, I guess that’s java, but css can do it too ;-)

And the lower two pics are rotating as well, more java working well…do you mean to have two both shifting at the same time and through the same pics?

nuan
    Participant

The only pic on project page that isn’t right is the last one, “Future 3 Story Home”…the rest look perfect.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.