Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other ComponentCSS: Just published, feedback wanted!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    andryanmiller
    Participant

Hello all!

I recently published a CSS methodology called ComponentCSS, and I’m looking to get some feedback from CSS gurus such as yourselves.

It focuses on purpose over pattern. I’ve seen some overworked media objects as of late, which led to the thinking that a CSS component’s goal, namely – to solve a problem in your user interface, should come first.

I’ll let the site speak for itself (http://www.ComponentCSS.com), but as mentioned I would greatly appreciate any thoughts the CSS-Tricks community can offer! Cheers!

__
    Participant
    1. It’s pretty difficult to find the actual css. I couldn’t find it in any of your site’s menus (I had to follow the “if you’d like to see ComponentCSS in action” link under “Getting Started” on your home page). Make a [Download] button, or a “Fork me on Github” banner, or something!
    2. Your site emphasizes “purpose” and “documentation,” but your project has very little documentation and the purpose of most rules is unclear. I would definitely need instructions if I were to “jump in” to using this. You mention a “styleguide,” which I couldn’t find anywhere.

3. Almost everything you size is in pixels. This is tight coupling, not loose. If I wanted to change the overall scale of my site, I’d be faced with dozens of edits (and the math to go along with it). (r)ems are much more flexible: just change the base size, and everything else follows suit proportionally. Since you’re using a preprocessor, you could use variables and provide a “fallback” px measurement also.

4. I understand that you’re not trying to be bootstrap (good, btw), but this css seems very narrowly focused. It seems to provide for only one layout (one col with a footer and sidebar). You also emphasize ease of theming, but your theme file contains only a few color variables.

The site itself looks fine. It doesn’t “stand out,” in my mind, but that’s okay. What needs to stand out is your CSS.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.