Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Coming soon page? how do I work on main?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    johnjf

I’m new to wordpress and was thinking of starting up a personal project site. I wanted to make a coming soon page and work on the main site behind the scenes. Is this possible and how?

TheDoc

I would create a new directory called ‘dev’ and install WordPress in there. I would also make sure it’s a subdomain so it’s dev.yoursite.com – it allows for easier file management (don’t have to worry about where the root folder is, etc), but that could just be personal preference.

Then in your site’s root (not the dev folder’s root), you can create your index.html page and have your ‘coming soon’ spiel.

Once you’re ready to launch the WordPress site you can move all of the files in the ‘dev’ folder up one level. You can use a handy plugin like Velvet Blues Update URLs to make sure you don’t have ‘dev.yoursite.com’ anywhere in your posts, attachments, etc. You’ll also need to change the domain name of the site (or else you won’t be able to login properly). You can easily do this via PHPmyadmin.

johnjf

Thank you, I’ll give this a try.

johnjf

I didn’t get started yet as I’m still designing my theme but I had an idea and wanted to know if maybe this might work also?

Create a new page which would be your coming soon page, go into settings and set that page as a static home page. The coming soon page would be the main so people can only see that while you work on the other pages like where your blog posts will be etc then once done, change it back to posts or what ever?

Sorry it’s really late and not thinking clear, just writing what came to my mind lol.

Anyway would this work also?

TheDoc

Yes, but that wouldn’t stop people being able to access the other parts of the site. I would call that a lazy solution, personally. But, really, to each their own. If it’s not going to be up that long, then I suppose you could go that route – just wouldn’t be the way that I’d go!

johnjf

alright thanks, ya I’m still figuring things out if my project will take abit of time and if not then just something to hide my main stuff for a week or 2 wouldn’t be bad.

Anyway maybe I’ll just stick to your solution, at least I’ll feel abit more comfortable knowing people won’t be able to see the main site pages.

Thanks again :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.