Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Columns and negative margins

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    norrie

Hi there. I’m wondering if someone might be able to let me know what I’m doing wrong here? PLEASE!
    I’ve been teaching myself how to lay out web pages in CSS rather than tables (I’m a freshie!) and I’ve hit a snag. I’m trying to get my sidebar div to sit to the right of my mainContent div with the footer below. I’ve been using negative margins but it just isn’t happening. I’ve uploaded this initial draft page http://www.macmastersplumbing.com.au (with inline CSS, dummy text and no linked pages). If someone could point out where I’m going wrong, I’d be stoked! It’s been doing my head in. The content copy is running underneath (as in covered by) the sidebar in Safari and doesn’t show up at all in Firefox. God knows what it’s doing in IE. Thanks!

Code:

Central Coast Bathroom Renovations and Plumbing | MacMasters Beach Plumbing

macmasters beach plumbing and bathroom renovations

NSW Central Coast — Bathroom renovations and general plumbing and maintenance

Phone: 0418 487 827

MacMasters Beach Plumbing & Bathroom Renovations

Are you looking for a plumber you can trust to do the job right, the first time and that won’t cost a fortune? Whether it’s a quality bathroom renovation or simply clearing a blocked drain, MacMasters Beach Plumbing & Bathroom Renovations are here to help. We are highly experienced tradespeople who take pride in our work and deliver only the best quality jobs time and again. With over 15 years of experience, we know which products work and last. We can advise you with the design of your bathroom renovation project to help you make the right decisions and create a bathroom you’re delighted with. Call or email us for an obligation free quote.

apostrophe
    Participant

Firstly, you don’t need negative margins.
    Secondly, most of the problems are coming from your commenting. html comments should look like this:

Code:

And finally give #mainContent a width in px.

norrie

Thanks apostrophe. I guess the lesson is "keep it simple stupid."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.