Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Codepal-My First Step in the world of Web Designing

• # January 14, 2009 at 6:11 am

yea am doing research now… visiting many sites with great inspirational designs. I have also just converted one of the templates i designed into html. Please check that out too :) Its in my services section, or here is the link Smiley Site
    Now i will be starting on a new design hehe

Rob
    # January 14, 2009 at 11:02 am

Also – here is good idea of how to value your work… or bill if you are working by the hour…

http://estimator.astuteo.com/

remeber that the average webdesigner charges about $55 an hour…

# January 14, 2009 at 12:12 pm

thx rob :) its a very useful site to give me an idea of how much to charge… but to charge, i need clients! :D
    The thing at which i am strong [comparatively to my other designing skills] is converting a psd to xhtml/css. I am kinda weak in designing because I never learned anything in designing. But am trying my best to create some good designs and then convert them perfectly into xhtml/css for my portfolio.. I am also working on setting up for theme forest and sell templates there so that I can start earning some cash to invest in my freelancing. But i still don’t have any idea where to get the clients from :|

# January 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm

"12 PSD to HTML Tutorials"

http://blog.themeforest.net/resources/1 … tutorials/

# January 14, 2009 at 1:51 pm

hey thanks for the link doc.. Chris’s podcast were the best in teaching me! :D I will go through them though. I have improved a lot in converting psds to xhtml/css i think. The problem which I am facing is, how to get clients for psd to xhtml conversion. I am trying to design on my own and convert them into web pages to include in my portfolio. :|

Rob
    # January 14, 2009 at 2:54 pm

yup this is where you need to get your SEO nice and lively, get yourself in forums, get themes up on theme selling websites…

here is another good resouce link
    http://freelancefolder.com/i-really-nee … verything/

My friend used to sell themes on sitepoint – he was aproched by a large company asking him to make quick templates for parked domains – about 50 sites I think… lets just say he made alot of money on that…

You have to get out there in the area you want to focus in. Write a useful blog always get hits… that kinda thing

# January 14, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I think the PSD -> HTML market is shrinking, really.

Most of the people that are designing are now also learning to simply code it themselves. We have a few designers at work (I’ll include myself in that group), and we all know how to code. Granted, once we hit our HTML/CSS limit we hand it over to the developers… but we know how to design and code a functional website.

If I were you, I’d really start working on designing. Relying on other designers to give you work is tricky. You want clients that come to you for the whole package methinks.

# January 15, 2009 at 10:58 am

Thanks rob for the link. That site is really helpful to me. Even I am working on a template to sell it on theme forest. That sitepoint site needs me to subscribe to it for selling templates :| The thing is that I am a student, and i have this weird aim of earning from scratch! :? I don’t wanna take any financial help from my brother or my parents :oops: though they are always willing to help me out.. So lets see how my first self designed site [i.e. widout any tuts :P] comes out :| And obviously you guys are going to be the judge of that hehe

@TheDoc, yes I am working on my designing skills too.. I think i can merge my programming skills, which is my main strength, with my designing skills to create some very nice designs.. But I have to improve my designing skills first :D

# January 19, 2009 at 10:12 pm

I love your campaign, that your a friend to help, it makes me feel comfortable with you right off the bat. Good Job

# January 20, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Hey thanks lotusflower :) I always think that when we ask for help from friends, we are very much comfortable and relaxed knowing that the help would always come. There is always a guarantee that a true friend will help us in our time of need. Hence, I thought of this campaign to treat the client like a friend ;)

# January 20, 2009 at 5:51 pm

i get a little bug in your design, looks like you have to make the left value higher:

[img]http://bayimg.com/image/canhkaabb.jpg[/img]

Rob
    # January 20, 2009 at 7:50 pm

beware the oding! lol

# January 21, 2009 at 9:30 am

@ rob lol..
    @ Argeaux – thanks buddy..The left value was -999 only :P and i think your screen size is bigger than mine :P, thats y its showing there.. whats ur screen size? anyway, i will rectify it right now :)

# January 21, 2009 at 10:16 am

1680×1050 pixels

# January 21, 2009 at 11:59 am

yup i thought so.. :) mine is 1400 x 900. Anyway, i have fixed it, if possible, please check and confirm it. Thanks again!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".