Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

CMS – What are you using?

• # February 8, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Hi guys,

I’ve been searching the forums to find out which CMS’ people are using today.

I know WordPress is incredibly popular, and I’ve developed a couple of sites using WordPress myself. However, is WordPress considered first choice for static sites, that do not feature a blog?

I’ve looked into CushyCMS, Expression Engine, Joomla, and Drupal?

I want to know what people are using for static sites that require a CMS to allow the client to maintain the site?

Cheers,

Ross

# February 8, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I use WordPress for nearly every type of CMS. I think it’s incredibly flexible and allows me to cater the backend to my clients’ specific needs.

# February 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm

WordPress for me too.

# February 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Ok great, starting to confirm for me just how dominant WordPress is becoming

# February 8, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I personally find it easier to develop my own CMS based on client specifications and what I think will be easier to make without too much fluff. That being said I use some frameworks like Kohana and codeigniter. Obviously not for those not comfortable in programming or PHP.

# February 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I use TextPattern

# February 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been using Silverstripe for a few years now. I’ve used WordPress, joomla and Drupal before on multiple sites. After those experiences I found joomla awful, WordPress good for blogs but too cobbled together for much more, and Drupal is great out of the box but takes ages to template when you have a highly designed site. Also have a friend who’s just switched fro
    Expression engine to silverstripe and thinks it’s saving him about 30% development time.

# February 10, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I’ve tried Joomla, CMS Made Simple, Modx, Drupal, Pagelime and Cushy and I totally agree with the comments on Drupal and Joomla. The problem I’ve continually run into when trying another CMS is that it lacked what I consider deal breaker features.

For example, WP seems to be the only kid on the block that both caters to drag-and-drop media while automatically resizing images. Regular people out there have no real understanding of why images taken from a digital camera are not a good idea or even have the software to do something about it (and are not in a frame of mind to go install and learn how to use something like Picasa). I might be wrong and another does it, but I haven’t seen it yet.

I used to use CMS Made Simple for real basic sites, but what often times happened is they needed more features eventually and I’d end up redoing it in WP anyway. So I’ve been more and more inclined to use WP and just pull off anything that didn’t directly need to be edited (like remove Comments, Posts, General, etc from even showing up normally). 99% of the time when it was something beyond a simple text or image update, they call me to help. I find it astonishing that despite all the advances in design, trends, youth culture, etc, people at the core still have no real desire to learn how to do anything they are very capable of doing and more often than not just would rather pay someone to do it for them. Good for us I guess :P

I kind of like how Silverstripe looks. I tried it a while back and it wasn’t my cup of tea but I like some of the stuff they’ve done since then (I just checked out the demo).

One CMS that I find intriguing but haven’t had time to try is Movable Type. One of these days I’ll fit it into my schedule and try and test it out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".