Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Client prefers including two nav-bar links to pages that do not yet exist

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wPwPwP
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve composed a [site (in a test location as I post)](http://wpossidento.com/test/index.html “test preview site”) using Twitter Bootstrap. It includes a nav-bar with links to two “pages” that don’t exist yet – “Ask your CFO” and “Blog” – though I expect that these will be created within a month or two. I would prefer to rid the nav bar of these pesky links, but the client prefers that they be included. I have added tooltips that display “Coming soon!” for these two links, and the tooltips work fine in the recent versions of Firefox, Chrome, IE and Opera in which I’ve tested them, even at narrow screen widths when the nav-bar collapses into a dropdown.

HOWEVER, in my iPhone 4S, the tooltips do not display, making for bad user experience and making me look even more flawed than I am (I do have some humility). I would like to include a link to this site in my own portfolio and of course I would like to minimize any flaws or questionable choices in my work.

Do you have any suggestions?

Here’s the nav-bar HTML code just in case you are curious:

Thanks.

Senff
    Participant

I would try very hard to convince the client to get rid of this. It’s bad practice to link to non-existing (or unfinished) pages, in my opinion. You can try to let them know it will hurt SEO, perhaps then they will agree to take out the links.
    If they really really insist, another option would be to link to actual pages that say “Coming soon”. I still think that’s bad practice, but at least it’s not as bad to linking nowhere.

jurotek
    Participant
    Alen
    Participant

You could add nofollow

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/96569?hl=en

> HOWEVER, in my iPhone 4S, the tooltips do not display, making for bad user experience and making me look even more flawed than I am

You could test for mobile devices and disable tooltips or better yet remove the dead links.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.