Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Client amendments

• # April 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm

What do people generally offer clients in terms of amendments and revisions? I have had a few client issues recently because either the client is asking for too much of my time to make amendments or I do not offer enough amendments etc.

What is a reasonable amount?

# April 15, 2013 at 4:43 pm

You charge them your normal rate. It’s that simple.

# April 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm

It’s definitely not that simple – I’ve had clients disputing pay because of this!

# April 15, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Well, what does your contract state?

# April 15, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Do you mean during a project, or after a project?

# April 15, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Make sure your scope is as clearly defined as possible at the beginning of the project. Otherwise it’ll come to bite you in the ass at some point.

Example:

Your website will have:
    - 10 pages
    - 5 templates
    - A contact form that mails to awesomesauce@yoursite.com
    - Animated horizontal nav
    - Be responsive

etc. etc. etc.

Then negotiate fees based on any additions / alterations from that base.

Bottom line: if you’re doing more work they should be charged more money.

# April 15, 2013 at 7:35 pm

@chrisburton That is the problem – I don’t have a contract because I am not sure what I should be offering in terms of amendments.

Say a client asked me to develop a design and then the design was altered say 5 times, many clients expect that to be a included in the cost which cannot be right surely?

# April 15, 2013 at 9:00 pm

any tips out there on how to write a good contract? Some examples?

@jshjohnson, I would make it very clear that time is money. Every change will be documented and billed for. That really sucks that people don’t want to pay you for changes, though.

# April 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm

There’s a separate thread somewhere where I posted a link to a source for contracts.

http://docracy.com

If you don’t have a contract, either get the client to sign one or establish some sort of written agreement. If they refuse, stop working with them.

# April 15, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Also, a contract isn’t only about what you offer. It’s about protecting you AND the client if either party refuses to live up to the deal. Keep that in mind.

# April 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Red flag. Never do work without a contract. You need to learn more about them prior to doing anymore work or your clients will keep disputing payments and screwing you over because you are basically inviting them to. Get your butt covered man, go get yourself a contract written up.

__
    # April 16, 2013 at 12:30 am

+1 **always have a good, detailed spec**. My Agreements are two-part – the Terms, and the Spec. The Spec is almost always 3-4 times longer.

My Terms usually include this regarding amendments:

> Any work requested which is not specified in the Agreement is a “Change Request,” and may be added to the Agreement, and amend the project cost and/or schedule, upon the approval of both the Client and Developer.

# April 16, 2013 at 2:16 am

Take this for exactly what it is: a learning experience.

Your next gig needs a contact. Even if you develop a relatively simple contract, you’ve got to start going in that direction.

But I’ll say this – the value of the contact 99% of the time isn’t to stick it to someone who is trying to stiff you. It’s so you can help your client understand what the boundaries are. What’s happening is people are taking advantage of you because they know no one set the ground rules. They start taking an inch and end up with a mile.

The best thing you can do is sit down and go through what you are offering mostly to simply set expectations. Who is responsible for what? What deliverables are expected? Where does it stop? What constitutes the final, delivered product?

When a client begins reworking the design and you can clearly state, “No problem. But per the contract please just realize that we’ll have to amend our agreement with a change order since we’re past the initial creative development. If that’s OK with you we can proceed. Or if you prefer, we can finish the website and then tackle redesign elements further down the road and include some improvements.” It’s pretty cut and dry at that point.

# April 16, 2013 at 4:37 am

> There’s a separate thread somewhere where I posted a link to a source for contracts.

Had some bookmarkered :) [Here](http://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/23623/do-i-need-a-contract-to-sell-my-web-design-services) and [here](http://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/16890/useful-docs-legal-documents-and-contracts-for-designers)

@traq, I’m interested in learning more about “the spec”, if you want to elaborate please do.

# April 16, 2013 at 10:00 am

you really, really need to have a contract for the client’s benefit. Its really not good news not having a clear and agreed contract between you and the client.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".