Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Chrome console recommends dppx instead of dpi even if dppx is used

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    rpk
    Participant

I have a subtle pattern as background image. One image for regular resolutions and one double the size for retina displays. i wanted to display the retina background image starting with a resolution of 1.5 . But no matter what i try either with 1.5 dppx or without:

body {
        background: image-url('ttg.png') repeat top left;
        @media  (min-resolution: 1.5dppx), (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5), (-moz-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5), (min-resolution: 144dpi) {
            background: image-url('[email protected]') repeat top left;
            background-size: 476px 476px;
        }
    }

Chrome is throwing a recommendation at me in the console:

Consider using ‘dppx’ units instead of ‘dpi’, as in CSS ‘dpi’ means dots-per-CSS-inch, not dots-per-physical-inch, so does not correspond to the actual ‘dpi’ of a screen. In media query expression: (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5), not all, (min-resolution: 144dpi)

No matter if i leave (min-resolution: 1.5dppx), in or cut it out. What is the reason for that behaviour? Safari isn’t showing anything similar. :/ Best regards Ralf

Paulie_D

Safari isn’t showing anything similar.

Because Chrome is better!

rpk
    Participant

hmmm and what would be the appropriate retina media query to satisfy Chrome? I get that remark no matter if i use (min-resolution: 1.5dppx) or not.

Alan C
    Participant

Well there is an article Here that gives the retina display media queries, maybe try one of those?

rpk
    Participant

well i already used more or less the same like in the article by leaving out the dppx min-resolution, only leaving the moz prefix in. but i left that out too now, just:

@media (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5), (min-resolution: 144dpi)

but Chromes answer is still the same:

Consider using ‘dppx’ units instead of ‘dpi’, as in CSS ‘dpi’ means dots-per-CSS-inch, not dots-per-physical-inch, so does not correspond to the actual ‘dpi’ of a screen. In media query expression: (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 1.5), not all, (min-resolution: 144dpi)

Cyclodex
    Participant

Just for a follow up, this was a bug…

If you have dppx override, it should not show you this message anymore.
    For testing: http://jsfiddle.net/gMRv9/

rpk
    Participant

Cool thanks a lot for the info!

oviliz
    Participant

So it is still a bug even the latest Chrome update?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.