Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Changing a theme and its yours?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I’ve got a question about changing a theme and then calling it your own work. I don’t mean re-releasing it as your theme, just using it for a website…

Basically, there is a free theme that I downloaded that has some good features in it… Rather then just make the same thing from scratch, I want to just completely change the style sheet but keep all the functionality.

Is it okay then, for me to say Web Design by me? Again, I’m not trying to rerelease a theme and say I made it after changing a few things, just use it sort of like a framework I guess. I’m pretty positive I saw Chris do the same sort of thing on a screencast about WP I think a while back because the WP theme had a builtin menu or somehting.

apostrophe
    Participant

I guess it really depends on how much you are changing. If you are really concerned then contact the creator and ask him/her.
    At the very least, if you are going to put your name on it, it would be good manners to give them a small credit somewhere.

Well that is a bit of a difficult question as it really does depend on the amount you are changing. Many people use Starkers theme and then build upon it, they then call it their own theme. I have done this many times and haven’t ever run into difficultly. If you are only changing a few colours and changing a bit of the layout it would be a good idea to indicate that fact, if you want to be able to display it as yours you could always contact the theme developer and ask them if they think you have changed it enough to make it yours.

Usually best to play it safe.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.